Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How do reactivate my iPhone 3GS to replace my lost iPhone 5

Scholar

How do reactivate my iPhone 3GS to replace my lost iPhone 5

I just want to change back to the 3GS using the same number I've always had. I know that when I bought the iPhone 5 I was given the option to activate it as a replacement iPhone, but I can't find that option to go back to the 3GS.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by romad
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: How do reactivate my iPhone 3GS to replace my lost iPhone 5

You will need to go to a corporate store and get a new SIM. The one in your 3GS has been deactivated and once a SIM has been deactivated, it cannot be used again. A corporate store will not charge for the SIM and activation of the SIM.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Scholar

OK. I was able to restore the 3GS from my latest 5 backup, so will the new activation deactivate the SIM in the lost 5? I used Find my iPhone to to set it to wipe the phone upon connecting to the Internet; I hope that works via a WiFi connection also.
Message 3 of 5
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by romad
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Yes, the new activation will deactivate the current SIM card in your lost iPhone 5. You should still be able to keep your current phone number.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5

I am waiting for an iPhone 6 plus and traded in my iPhone 4S. 

You need to be aware that there are some major differences between the 5 and the 3GS

- Camera focus and clarity poor compared to the 5

- No GPS embedded mapping functionality

- No Siri

- No type as you read text for messages and emails.

- Web pages are much slower

What is similar

Emails 

Text messaging, I upgraded to the latest version 6.X

I realize you did not want to downgrade, neither did I.

We do things out of necessity.

The good news is you do have an older 3GS to downgrade to.

Some versions of the software will need to run in an older version then the one you were using on your lost phone. 

Did you have the setting to find my iPhone implimented. You may be able to find your lost 5 if you had that turned on. 

Always turn that on on any future phone you get. 

Hope this helps

This is an older post, maybe your getting the new iPhone 6 this year and you have a good story to end your sad loss story. I hope this is true

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support