The new iPhone 15
MRD956's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 4:30 AM

Horrible Lying Store Manager Refuses to Replace a Defective Iphone 7 a Few Days After Purchase.

So my new Iphone 7 had a portion of the screen not working, a half inch of the screen on the right side completely didn't work. While I was a little upset about this, I decided it wasn't too huge of an issue and I would replace it at the place of purchase. An AT&T store inside of a mall was the place of purchase. Going into the store 2 days after purchase I asked a store sales man to have the phone replaced, I had shown him the issue of the phone and he had agreed that the phone was indeed defective and that it could have been over looked when the phone was intially opened in the store. However, the sales rep said he wasn't the one to deal with returns and he said he'd grab the manager to help me out. This is when I met Tony. Tony started the conversation by asking about the issues of the phone. I showed him the side of the screen didn't work and he agreed that it was a defective phone. He then said that I would have to go to the Apple store to get it fixed. At this point I was questionable and asked him "well the sales rep we saw on the 24th said we had 15 days to return the device." his response was that policy only reflected that of non-Iphone purchases and that once you open the device, apples warranty kicks in and only they can deal with it from there on. I then sceptically went to the apple store, here they told me they could technically fix it but i should really go back to the AT&T store and ask for a replacement or refund as they should give me one. I go to the AT&T store a second time where I further express my disatsfaction with this policy and i ask multiple questions just to make sure im not mistaken. One of my questions was specifically "So if I bought an Iphone today in cash walked out of the store and found out it had a broken screen, came back to this store and asked for a refund, what would you say?" Tony's response was "You would have to go to the Apple store" I asked "So how would I get my money back?" and he said "You wouldn't be able to". So at this point I was very angry and I left the store. I received a text from AT&T saying to call the customer support number. So I did and they explained to me that the manager was in the wrong and that I should attempt to go back and have them possibly speak to them. Upon entering the store the manager told me very loudly "Im done with this, this is done." I tried explaining that I had called the customer support for AT&T however he then told me to get out of his store. He said this again and then walked away into the back saying he was calling security. I was standing there astonished with the rest of the customers that he had acted in such a way. A few walked out even. I proceeded to finish my call with the customer support agent, the security came and asked me to leave kindly and I left the store. There the customer support agent reffered me to an official AT&T store nearby and suggested that I wrote a letter to the address at the bottom of my monthly bill (which I intend on doing) aswell as come here to this forum to voice my concerns. Honestly, I am appauld that this guy would even be considered for a management position. As he either has no clue what he is doing, or he is trying his hardest to have as little returns possible to (I assume) make his stores numbers look good. Not only the fact he couldn't handle himself calmly but him also lying to the highest degree just to avoid a replacement is illegal according to the FTC! You have 3 buisness days to return any goods purchased with a few exceptions (this is not one of them). I will not be going down that path of things mainly because I was impressed by your customer support and I understand people like this slip through the cracks and that they do not represent a whole company . However, what will show the true merrit of AT&T is how you guys deal with this man. As he has honestly given me the worst experience I have had to date dealing with any kind of retail, resturant or tech store. (and boy I have pretty bad stories). On the plus side your customer support was A+ and leaves me some hope for AT&T. Since the official AT&T Store was closed I will be going there on 12/27/16 to finish up this issue! Hopefully I will have a better experience!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I am vey surprised the Apple Store told you that. Apple does all warranty work on iPhones. That is Apple's policy no matter where you buy the phone. You really don't want to return it to ATT because then you will be charged a restocking fee and asking ATT to replace it because it is defective is warranty which they are not allowed to do per Apple's policy. If you want another iPhone, you do need to take it to Apple. 

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

Gonna confirm Sandblaster. You will have to exchange the phone through apple. At&t is not allowed to do warranty on iphones. the 14 day return policy is if you did not want the phone and you would have to pay to restock it. Warranty is when you have a defective phone.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

You see that was the response received by the manager and I was told by the customer supports manager that is indeed not true within a 15 day period. This is also 2 days (1 buisness day) after purchase. There are laws protecting consumers, such as intended warranties that state deffective merchandise must be reconsiled at the place of purchase and they have discretion as to whether the item is fixed, replaced or refunded. A place of business in massachusetts may not impede on these laws. If you'd like more insight it can be found here. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Also I was told I was not able to return for a refund. If you would read the post fully you would see I said 'One of my questions was specifically "So if I bought an Iphone today in cash walked out of the store and found out it had a broken screen, came back to this store and asked for a refund, what would you say?" Tony's response was "You would have to go to the Apple store" I asked "So how would I get my money back?" and he said "You wouldn't be able to"'

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

if you look at at&t's warranty page it will confirm this information.

Verify warranty support channel - AT&T provides warranty support with the following exceptions:

• New or Apple-replacement Apple-branded device - Contact Apple Support for troubleshooting and warranty support.

Found here www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1044996

This is Apple's policy. Warranty replacements, even day 1 have to go through them. Blame the phone manufactorer. It is their policy, not at&t's. The return period you keep talking about is a return period where you pay a restocking fee and return the phone all together. Not a warranty period.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

I understand what you are saying, I asked to return the product, I was refused that ability. And as I stated no buisness, even apple can alter state law stating that the business selling the product is required to accomodate a defective device within a reasonable period by either replacing,refunding or fixing the item. I purchased the item from the AT&T store. On top of this I not only had one customer support agent tell me I was correct, she then said the matter was escalated and passed the call off to her on floor manager who then had a conversation with me about the events that happened and she too agree'd the store manager could simply replace the device. The number that was called was 800-801-1101. 

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

You can return it, but you will have to pay the restocking fee of $45. I have never said you couldnt return it. Just in order to get a free replacement you would have to go through apple. You will notice in my original post I said you did have 14 days to return the device but that is not a replacement like you are asking for in the title of your post.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry i wasn't clear. The manager of the store asserted that I cannot return the device even if i paid a restocking fee. Also none of these arguements hold up to the mass state law stating that a business is required to refund, return or fix the item themselves. Also there is no response to the fact two customer support agents affirmed me that I would infact be able to REPLACE my device at any AT&T store. Not only refund but I was clear in asking them that I want it REPLACED. Again I was affirmed on that I would be able to get it REPLACED. If someone would like to weigh in on that and the reason a customer support agent and the customer support agents manager affrimed me of getting my device REPLACED by AT&T.

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

This is why I was talking about replacing it. You do not want to return it. You meant replace the entire time. I knew that and when I addressed it you said you want to return it. I point out the process and you type replace in all caps several times. Which are you wanting to do, return or replace? Replacement has to go through apple. In the government link you posted it contains this information:

If you purchase a defective product, then merchant must
provide you with options of replacement, repair, or refund.

At&t does provide you with an option of replacement. That option is to go through apple.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Again you don't address my customer service call. 

Again as a consumer I wanted to understand my options. I asked to return the device. I was refused. Yes I want my device replaced. Notice how to government link says the merchant must supply a replacement? How is the merchant supplying the replacement if they are reffering to another merchant who is saying that this should be dealt with on the origional merchants side? I bought my phone from an AT&T store. I will return my phone to said store and if the AT&T would like to receive the phone back I suggest they send the phone to Apple to assess their options. As a consumer I did not want to buy a defective phone. The merchant who sold me the defective phone had a chance to catch it being defective. They did not. This is why they should be replacing my phone as well as my previously stated reasons. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.