For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
zurdo's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 29th, 2011 10:37 PM

Grandfathered account

I have a problem i have 23 months off contract with att, with the iphone 3g and the 30 dollar data, after 1 year passed my iphone stoped working and i had to call att so that they pospone or cancel that data plan till i have a new phone atleast thats was what i tell them, i now whant to upgrade my phone to a white iphone 4g would i still be able to use the 30 dollar data plan ?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

In impalers post: "Once you cancel or change the unlimited plan to a limited plan, you can never get your unlimited back."

I am not changing or canceling my plan.

I started my account in 2005(Cingular), in 2007(Cingular Becomes AT&T) my contract was up and I have been on a month to month ever since.

When the iPhone 3GS 32Gig came out, I got one, put my sim card in it and have been using it ever since without making a change to my data or minutes, I have added/removed other packages over the years without issue, the service has actually been really good.

It is still a gradfathered account which reps confirm with me over the phone while they tell me the benefits of moving into a non-grandfathered account and trying to get me to agree to moving into a non-grandfathered account.

I will never agree, and I think the terms I originally signup with stand, hence they need to gain agreement from me to change the account to non-grandfathered current.

Now they continually send me letters with offers and coupons, or threaten me with an automatic account conversion, (has not happened yet), every time I receive one i call and tell them I do not want to make any changes to my account and they dont.

How many times do i need to say: "I do not want to make any change to my account" It is very frustrating to receive an offer or notification by mail, text or email and having to respond as soon as I get it. The time frames they give me to respond have been getting shorter and shorter.

This ends my rant.

Thanks for the responses... you all sound like AT&T Employees.

Family Plan 1400 min

Family unlimited text

Family Unlimited(truly unlimited) Data 10$ each (2 Lines) 2 iPhone 3GS

Data Opt Out (2 Lines) 2 iPhone 3GS

if i were to agree to the change it would add 180$ a month to my bill on the high end on the low end 40$(limited to 200M per phone, and still increase my bill) .... really?! you expect me to agree to that?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

It honestly sounds like you never had the correct data plan for the iPhone.

In EVERY contract, AT&T has the right to move you to an appropriate data plan for your device.

If you are using the iPhone with a data plan that is not approved for it, AT&T is well within their rights to move you to an appropriate data plan.  Since you signed the contract and continue to use the service, you have agreed to the Terms and Conditions which give them that right.

If you don't like it, find another carrier that offers terms and conditions that you can live with.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I never signed any contract after cingular became at&t, like I said ive been on month to month since 2007.

My original contract was up before cingular became at&t.

What AT&T said in 2007 was my cingular account will remain in tact, until I decide to change it. these are the terms and conditions AT&T and I were forced to agree to when cingular became AT&T. they are just using very agressive tactics to get me to "agree" to switch over to an AT&T account.

I never bought the iPhone from AT&T so i never renewed a contract, i just switched phones. I bought them 3rd party and stuck my sim cards in them.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

its nit in the contract its in the terms of conditions for at&t. and also at&t didn't buy Cingular it's the other way around, Cingular just took the at&t name. the iPhone since day one required a data plan even before they made all smartphones have one.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I have been on a month to month contract since 2005 originally with Cingular.  I purchased a Blackberry Pearl from the Cingular Store unsubsidized in 2007 (because my nokia was stolen).  I have a $40 plan that is approx $40 per month - 1000 minutes and limited texting; after 25 texts I get charged.  I do not have data nor want it.  I have been told that my phone will not work anymore --but that I can upgrade my plan.  AT&T has now removed my texting abilities and says that my voice capabilities will be removed soon also.  So my BB will be useless in a few months?  Do I have to get a new phone?  Why?  I have been loyal and have been paying (ON TIME) for some years now. 

As a member of the USAF I find it very disturbing that I am being FORCED to change my plan and PAY MORE for services I do not want.  Is it possible for AT&T to send me a new sim card and allow me to keep my current plan?  I have always respected the company and now I am debating on writing a complaint to the BBB, FTC, FCC, and my state attorney general.  I am also considering writing a letter to my congressmen, and senator to block the merger with T-mobile (Anti-trust)  as I look into possibly switching carriers.  Cingular's customer service was always very courteous, respectful and always responded quickly.  AT&T's reps have not been as polite as I asked to speak with a manager (to which I was not afforded that opportunity).  If this is not resolved to my satisfaction I will express this disatisfaction to all military members I am in contact with, to include my Facebook and Twitter friends.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@Loyal4now wrote:

I have been on a month to month contract since 2005 originally with Cingular.  I purchased a Blackberry Pearl from the Cingular Store unsubsidized in 2007 (because my nokia was stolen).  I have a $40 plan that is approx $40 per month - 1000 minutes and limited texting; after 25 texts I get charged.  I do not have data nor want it.  I have been told that my phone will not work anymore --but that I can upgrade my plan.  AT&T has now removed my texting abilities and says that my voice capabilities will be removed soon also.  So my BB will be useless in a few months?  Do I have to get a new phone?  Why?  I have been loyal and have been paying (ON TIME) for some years now. 

As a member of the USAF I find it very disturbing that I am being FORCED to change my plan and PAY MORE for services I do not want.  Is it possible for AT&T to send me a new sim card and allow me to keep my current plan?  I have always respected the company and now I am debating on writing a complaint to the BBB, FTC, FCC, and my state attorney general.  I am also considering writing a letter to my congressmen, and senator to block the merger with T-mobile (Anti-trust)  as I look into possibly switching carriers.  Cingular's customer service was always very courteous, respectful and always responded quickly.  AT&T's reps have not been as polite as I asked to speak with a manager (to which I was not afforded that opportunity).  If this is not resolved to my satisfaction I will express this dissatisfaction to all military members I am in contact with, to include my Facebook and Twitter friends.

Not sure what this has to do with the iPhone.

If I understand what you're asking, you want continued service on your 4 year old perl, at the contract level you had in 2007.

I believe once you are off contract, you no longer have any guarantee that your current plan/service will continue - there is no contract, so either party can end the service. I'm not a lawyer nor do I work for AT&T, so I could quite possibly be wrong, it just seems as though there is no longer a contractual obligation to provide you with the service at that price.

There is no current plan that provides 1000 minutes, 25 texts, and no data. There are no "smartphone" plans without data.

The cheapest current voice only plan is $39 for 450 minutes. You can add 1000 text messages for $10. That's the lowest I can find, and would only work on a "dumb" phone. *Any* smart phone would require a minimum $15 data plan.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

13 years ago

Seems to me that if your contract is over from your side, it's over from the ATT side too. Seems ATT would be within their right to say that at the end of the current month, they are no longer offering the original terms. Here are the new terms from this point on. You can choose to accept them or go elsewhere.

Guru

• 

647 Messages

13 years ago

@Loyal4now wrote:

Funny how some of the folks here are essentially telling you to either "put up or shut up", yet somehow failed to acknowledge the part where you said "I have been told that my phone will not work anymore".  If indeed you were told exactly that by AT&T...the question that should have been asked in response is, "Why would a BB Pearl not work anymore?"  LOL--that's like being told by AT&T that your 1st-gen iPhone (which IIRC came out in 2007) will no longer work, so you either need to get a new phone and/or service plan or AT&T will force a new plan on you.

What's also funny is that, even when it is discovered that users had been clearly given misinformation by (certain) AT&T reps...nobody here ever takes AT&T to task for doing so--instead, they're too busy chastising the customer for being wrong about what they believe they can or can't do, even though said customer's belief was based on (mis)information given to them by an AT&T rep.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

My post was

1) this is the apple forum, so, ok.

2) your contract is over, so pulling the "its my plan I have always had" is meaningless.

3) you can't keep using your old phone.

We can debate 3... perhaps the perl on cingular is using some oddball frequency that's being phased out. Maybe the poster miscommunication what he was told. Maybe the AT&T rep was making stuff up, or lied, or was just flat out wrong.

The answer in any case is to call in and talk to someone. Posting here at the end of some other post about iPhone grandfathered data plans is about the only way to not get an answer.

So, sure, my bad for not pointing out that IF he wanted to add a data plan, he could probably keep his perl*. But he'd need completely new service. Which isn't probably compatible with his perl. Which means, he needs a new phone. Which would probably be free after subsidy on a new two year plan. Which he doesn't want.

Which gets us back to start.

* because the perl is a smart phone, and all smart phones require a data plan now (no doubt someone finally found his account and realized this, and he was notified of it, since he mentioned somewhere about needing data and not wanting data...) now that I think of it, perhaps the conversation went something like "I don't want data" "then you can't keep using your perl" because he'd need to be on a DUMB phone to have a voice plan with no data. Maybe. Who knows, we don't have the full transcript.

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

13 years ago

This won't help but if you ever had the unlimited and you never change your data plan you

will always have the unlimited forever. iv'e got an old plan they don't offer anymore called

the universeal plan. its a 1400 minute plan with my land line billed together.

any call in or out is free to an at&t land line. add to that the carry over minutes and the a list

i have over 10,000 rollover minutes i'll never use.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.