The new iPhone 15
zurdo's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 29th, 2011 10:37 PM

Grandfathered account

I have a problem i have 23 months off contract with att, with the iphone 3g and the 30 dollar data, after 1 year passed my iphone stoped working and i had to call att so that they pospone or cancel that data plan till i have a new phone atleast thats was what i tell them, i now whant to upgrade my phone to a white iphone 4g would i still be able to use the 30 dollar data plan ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@zurdo wrote:

but the thing is that it was in the contract, if i put it now in the phone that i have an then get the upgrade do you think that it can be done.

The contract is for your voice service, the data add-on is only grandfathered if you have kept it current. If you cancelled the data, it's likely gone. I'd go ahead and *ask* a human being (call in!) because you just never know.

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

13 years ago

Do you currently have the smartphone unlimited plan on  whatever phone you are using?  If you currently don't have an unlimited smartphone, it won't grandfather.  Having had an iPhone with an unlimited plan sometime in the past doesn't count.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

but the thing is that it was in the contract, if i put it now in the phone that i have an then get the upgrade do you think that it can be done.

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

13 years ago

What contract?  You said you are 23 months off contract.  I guess I'm having trouble understanding your situation.  Do you currently have an account and are you currently using a phone with AT&T?  If so, what phone is it and what data plan do you have now?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

13 years ago

Once you cancel or change the unlimited plan to a limited plan, you can never get your unlimited back. I lost my iPad unoited data plan when my credit card changed and I didn't update my new card info for the monthly renewal. It was cancelled and then I only had the option of 2GB or 250MB. So far my 3GS has maintained unlimited data.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I also have a grandfathered account, I didn't upgrade via AT&T and didn't sign up for a new contract. My account has remained this way for since I got my iPhone3gs 32gb.

Now they are telling me that they are going to force me out of my grandfathered status and charge me an additional 35$ for my data per phone. Highway Robbery

The reps on the phone and in the store say the iPhone or Smartphone data plan is REQUIRED FOR THE PHONE TO OPERATE  , i do not have an iPhone or Smartphone data plan on my iphone and i have never had a problem since the 3gs came out.

Why do you continue to rob us blind when you are rich enough and big enough.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

13 years ago

Who's too rich? Why do you get to decide who has enough money? Aside from that ridiculous comment, the fact is that in order to use a smartphone on AT&T you must have a qualifying data plan. That is required, and they are correct. Read your contract. And if you don't have a data plan and somehow you're getting unlimited data, you'll probably be audited soon anyway and it sounds like they've already red flagged you.

It's called paying for what you use...not a new concept. And if you dint like it, you don't have the obligation to use it, but you don't have the option to just take it without compensating the company for it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Im not in contract haven't been for a long time, why would they let me keep my 10$ data plan on my iphone for 3 years then take it away ive been on the phone with at&t a lot over the 3 years adding and removing other features they never once told me I had to change it and now they arbitrarily decide to charge me more for it. Its what they originally sold me and what ive always had.

I pay my bill and and I sure don't use 45$ a month worth of data, I pay 45 dollars a month for my home internet. if i have to pay that much for a data plan i would rather not have one but its "required" or your phone wont work? i think not.

my daughters phone had data opted out pre-iphone and post-iphone, her iphone works perfectly fine without a data plan, only difference between then and now is they wont opt you out at your request anymore.

Just a money grubbin company looking for more ways into your pocket.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

ScreenShots, I have been locked out of my account access on the att.com/wireless site, but my app can still see it, and when I call in regarding my account access I am immediatly routed to a person to switch my plan. its amazing how much effort AT&T puts into trying to un-give what was given to begin with.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

You are not required to have the $45 Data Pro 4GB + Tethering plan. 

You are required to have a data plan.

Your options are:

DataPlus 200mb @ $15/month

DataPro 2GB @ $25/month

DataPro 4GB+Tethering @ $45/month.

The iPhone has always required a data plan (to the best of my knowledge).

Since September 2009, all smartphones on AT&T have required a data plan.

The medianet plans have never been authorized for use with an iPhone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.