The new iPhone 15
Thumper369's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 7:59 PM

Government Alerts on ATT iphones?

A friend of mine just got an iphone on another network.  We were standing in the office and all of a sudden his phone started making a noise neither of us had ever heard from our phones. 

Turns out he had a Government Alerts section under his Notifications page.  It includes emergency alerts and Amber alerts.

When will ATT support this?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

THis afternoon my iPhone started sqeeling like a pig and displayed a flood warning for someplace a distance away.  Thanks to this article I was able to shut off these stupid warnings.  I just wish it would have defaulted to OFF OFF instead of forcing me to set it....

You really should warn people if you are going to do stuff like this....

Boston, Mass

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

@7valleys wrote:

THis afternoon my iPhone started sqeeling like a pig and displayed a flood warning for someplace a distance away.  Thanks to this article I was able to shut off these stupid warnings.  I just wish it would have defaulted to OFF OFF instead of forcing me to set it....

You really should warn people if you are going to do stuff like this....

Boston, Mass

This post has me laughing out loud.

What text displayed? you might add it to your reply to make it easy for others to find this thread also.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks so much!  I followed your instructions and it worked.  I have an iPhone 5.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

The question was not directed towards me but I just so happened to receive one. This is what was displayed on my phone. I would upload a photo but there does not seem to be an option to. My only complaint about the message is that it does not tell me where to avoid.

BR,

~Crash

! Emergency Alerts

Emergency Alerts

Flash Floods Warning this area till 0400 EDT

Avoid flood areas. Check local media. -NWS

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, it caused some serious issues, primarilly for owners of the iPhone 4.  Then another Carrier update on 6-27-2013.  What was that one for?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@crabcell wrote:

Unfortunately, it caused some serious issues, primarilly for owners of the iPhone 4.  Then another Carrier update on 6-27-2013.  What was that one for?

evidence points that the issue with the 4's only show up when a micro-cell is in the picture, that has been reported here and on apple's forums - the majority of the reports where in conjunction with a Iphone 4 and a microcell.

Pure speculation on the 6/27 push although there are reports of a hacked 14.1 running around that could explain the new version with more security built in

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Apparently the last update disabled (removed) WEAs from my iPhone 4.  Will there be a new update soon that will let them work on an iPhone 4 again?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I have an iPhone 4 running the latest iOS that got the alerts update a few weeks ago.  Then this morning, I had a notification that my settings had been changed (again) and now these alerts have disappeared from my settings. I have read on other forums that the alerts are still there but that we are no longer able to disable the amber alerts and the weather alerts. However, I suspect this is just a rumor.

Regardless, I would like AT&T to specify exactly which settings were updated either:

1) in the "settings were changed" notification screen itself

2) with a text message (they text us about other things so why not about that?)

3) on their websites 

I think that it's ridiculous that as customers, WE have to hunt down the information all over the internet to see what exactly had changed with our phones.  That is poor customer service.

In this specific case, are these alerts STILL a part of my phone or not?  If not, why?  If yes, how can I access the settings to make sure that the options that I wanted disabled are still disabled?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I, too; REALLY want WEAs on my iPhone 4.

I received a carrier update which installed the alerts on my phone a couple days ago, but then I received another update which removed the feature. I recently called AT&T to ask why they removed the alerts, and I asked if they could re-install them. They said that the updates were pushed through Apple. The first update "caused problems" for iPhone 4 users, so they released the second update to remove the Government Alerts from iPhone 4 phones.

They said the only iPhones which presently have the alert capabilities are the 4S and the 5.

AT&T said they can't do anything, since the alert was pushed through Apple, and I would need to talk to Apple if I had further questions.

Does anybody know if/when we will get these alerts on the 4? Or this an excuse for the companies (and Apple) to try to make us upgrade our phones to the 4S and 5?

I really want these on my phone! 😞

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

FWIW I was told the same thing that it was through Apple

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.