The new iPhone 15
Thumper369's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 7:59 PM

Government Alerts on ATT iphones?

A friend of mine just got an iphone on another network.  We were standing in the office and all of a sudden his phone started making a noise neither of us had ever heard from our phones. 

Turns out he had a Government Alerts section under his Notifications page.  It includes emergency alerts and Amber alerts.

When will ATT support this?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I am in Nashville.

Those who see it on their phones what areas are you in?

Nashville - current iOS - iPhone 5 = Not present
Nashville - current iOS - iPhone 4s = Not present
Nashville - current iOS - iphone 4 = Not present

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

11 years ago

Gregzoll,

Not entirely true. Maybe it not been rolled out in you market but it has been around here. My wife recently receive amber alerts on her Droid.

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
You can get the same features with the Wx Alert USA app. iOS 6 does support it, but ATT has not enabled it for support on their network.

Am I missing something? This is weather alerts. I think we are asking about government and police alerts. ie: amber alerts, bomb threats... 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You can get those with the app I stated in this past post. Really need to look stuff up, before digging up old posts, thT at this point are ancient news.

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
You can get those with the app I stated in this past post. Really need to look stuff up, before digging up old posts, thT at this point are ancient news.

Thanks for your input.

I *did* "look stuff up" which was how I found this thread. Support forums are for asking questions and seeking answers. It's generally considered better to keep one thread asking the same question active, rather than starting new ones.

This thread was last active a few months ago. Not so much "ancient news". This thread made mention of a roll out of a valuable feature. I asked if anyone had any update about that feature. I specifically chose this thread to inquire about that IOS feature update for AT&T users.

About ONE WEEK ago, Watertown Mass. was on lockdown. Remember? A government alert went out. Verizon iphone users knew. AT&T users still did not. It was all over the news. Hardly ancient news. In fact, this inquiry is rather timely.

I'm interested in the IOS feature. But again, thanks for your input about the app you like.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@the gryphon wrote:

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

Thanks for your input.

I *did* "look stuff up" which was how I found this thread. Support forums are for asking questions and seeking answers. It's generally considered better to keep one thread asking the same question active, rather than starting new ones.

This thread was last active a few months ago. Not so much "ancient news". This thread made mention of a roll out of a valuable feature. I asked if anyone had any update about that feature. I specifically chose this thread to inquire about that IOS feature update for AT&T users.

About ONE WEEK ago, Watertown Mass. was on lockdown. Remember? A government alert went out. Verizon iphone users knew. AT&T users still did not. It was all over the news. Hardly ancient news. In fact, this inquiry is rather timely.

I'm interested in the IOS feature. But again, thanks for your input about the app you like.

I suspect that it is something other then just the IOS, the alert system was not on the verizon iphones until verizon pushed a radio update out to the phone. Had a text message on the verizon iphone to update the radio profile about 8 months ago, then had the deveil scared out of me when I was in the middle of a board meeting and I got the first emergency alert on the phone.

Scholar

• 

164 Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@the gryphon wrote:

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

Thanks for your input.

I suspect that it is something other then just the IOS, the alert system was not on the verizon iphones until verizon pushed a radio update out to the phone. Had a text message on the verizon iphone to update the radio profile about 8 months ago, then had the deveil scared out of me when I was in the middle of a board meeting and I got the first emergency alert on the phone.

Yes, thanks. I agree. I was attempting to be brief, but therefore ended up imprecise... but yeah, some sort of radio update would likely be necessary. Did you find the feature useful on the Verizon Iphone? I had a verizon iphone briefly, and really appreciated it

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

It's a great feature to have.  I live in Columbus, OH some as well as WV and we don't have it here.  I know Verizon iPhone's have the ability to turn it on.  It would be great in case of a local alert or some type of storm emergency, like a tornado warning.  I think it's only available in select markets.  (Probably where it has been made a requirement by law). 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@OnDemand26 wrote:

It's a great feature to have.  I live in Columbus, OH some as well as WV and we don't have it here.  I know Verizon iPhone's have the ability to turn it on.  It would be great in case of a local alert or some type of storm emergency, like a tornado warning.  I think it's only available in select markets.  (Probably where it has been made a requirement by law). 

the alert package is a service offered, have not seen any federal or local law that forces it to be displayed on personal devices.

Scholar

• 

115 Messages

11 years ago

I just recieved a popup "Carrier Settings Updated".  I didn't initiate anything.  What is AT&T changing on me?

"New settings required for you device have been installed."  It's an old 3gs.  What is new all of a sudden?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.