The new iPhone 15
Thumper369's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 7:59 PM

Government Alerts on ATT iphones?

A friend of mine just got an iphone on another network.  We were standing in the office and all of a sudden his phone started making a noise neither of us had ever heard from our phones. 

Turns out he had a Government Alerts section under his Notifications page.  It includes emergency alerts and Amber alerts.

When will ATT support this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

Everyone, 

On June 14th, apple provided a carrier update to all customers running a version of iOS 6.1 or later on an iPhone 3GS or newer and iPad 2 and newer. This update enables customers with iphone 4S or newer and iOS 6.1 or later to receive Wireless Emergency Alerts to their apple devices. YAY! 

Please see About WEA for more information on Wireless Emergency Alerts. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Thumper369 wrote:

A friend of mine just got an iphone on another network.  We were standing in the office and all of a sudden his phone started making a noise neither of us had ever heard from our phones. 

Turns out he had a Government Alerts section under his Notifications page.  It includes emergency alerts and Amber alerts.

When will ATT support this?

you also need a device that is WEA capable in addition to the carrier. These are the ones that are right now

http://www.kwwl.com/story/18648143/cmas-compatible-phones

the iphone is not on the list as of now

http://wirelessamberalerts.wirelessfoundation.org/howwirelessamberalertswork.htm

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Mabey you misunderstood my question.  IOS6 has this feature.  See the screenshot below. My friend has an iPhone 5 on another carrier and he got an alert today.  So the phone is compatiable.  ATT aparently is not.

Government Alerts

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

See this thread: http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Emergency-Alert-System/td-p/3274177

Apparently the service has been enabled in a few markets and the roll out to other markets is in progress. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Thumper369 wrote:

Mabey you misunderstood my question.  IOS6 has this feature.  See the screenshot below. My friend has an iPhone 5 on another carrier and he got an alert today.  So the phone is compatiable.  ATT aparently is not.

Government Alerts

I looked at a 3GS when I responded, it is not shown in notifications, just looked at the 4S and it is there, not sure about the 4, not carrying one at the moment

1 Attachment

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

11 years ago

Interesting because I am it seeing it on my 5? I wonder if it is smart enough to only be present in markets where the local government agencies can support this functionality?

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T does support it. My wife receives them on her droid, but I do not receive them on my 3GS. I am running the latest iOS so I suspect it's dependent on both the iOS version as well as which iPhone you have.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

11 years ago

@youngjm wrote:
Interesting because I am it seeing it on my 5? I wonder if it is smart enough to only be present in markets where the local government agencies can support this functionality?

Should say "NOT" seeing it.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

@youngjm wrote:

@youngjm wrote:

@youngjm wrote:

don;t think so, my local area does not support the new system as of yet and I see it on the 4S

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You can get the same features with the Wx Alert USA app. iOS 6 does support it, but ATT has not enabled it for support on their network.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.