The new iPhone 15
jasonfodor's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 4th, 2017 6:31 PM

For GOD'S sake, can anyone actually help me unlock an iPhone X?

Called AT&T a few times and I heard a different response EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I purchased a few iPhone X's from AT&T.com for the full price $999.00, and I am trying to unlock them.

(1) First was told I needed to go to att device unlock page and it would take a day to unlock.  First IMEI I unput said This is not an AT&T device, another IMEI said it's an Motorola V557. 

(2)  I call in, another employee tells me I need to ACTIVATE the phone and use it for 14 days then I can request to have it unlocked

(3)  Again, call in, another employee tells me the device is already unlocked out of the box if I paid full price

(4)  Another call, this time the employee tells me I need to wait 6 months.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same situation. Following.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Your stuck for know.  You have to wait the 14 day return period before they will unlock them and they also need to be activated unless your on prepaid and don't activate them.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

You cannot unlock any Phone until after the 14 day return period expires.

After then you can ask ATT for an exception to the 6 month prepaid lock, or apply for unlock if postpaid.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Response #2 might be closest to being correct. You should be able to unlock it now but if the unlock portal does not recognize the phone’s imei yet, there really isn’t anything you can do about it. ATT has no record of the phone until activated on ATT’s network. Activating the phone should get it added to the imei database and waiting until after the 14 day return period has always been ATT’s policy. The phone is definitely not already unlocked and the only 6 month requirement is for prepaid. If you were to put a prepaid SIM card into the phone, you will trigger the 6 month requirement but since you paid full retail, you can get an exception to that policy.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Called AT&T again, this time they said I need to wait 60 days.

Why in the world is this so complicated?

It is not pre-paid.  I have an ATT account, but bought it outright to give to family who are not on AT&T.

OK, I get the 14 day wait, since they don't want you to unlock it then return it.  But does that mean 14 days after the delivery date, I can have it unlocked?  Does the 14 days start from the date the phone was activated?  Because I haven't activated them yet.  Do I have to activate the phones?  Kind of dumb to get a sim to activate the phones, then that kills the sim on my old phone (iphone 6), then get another sim card to activate the iphone 6 again since I planned to gift these iphone X's not to use them....Do I have to use the phones?  Again, it was a planned gift not to be used

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@jasonfodor You don’t need a new sim. Just move the sim from your iPhone 6 long enough to activate the new phone and have it register on the network, then just move the sim back.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@jasonfodor wrote:

Why in the world is this so complicated?

Why in the world would you buy an iPhone NOT for AT&T from AT&T?!?

You need to understand this isn't the normal thing to do, so everyone is just giving you their best guess. 

But does that mean 14 days after the delivery date, I can have it unlocked?  Does the 14 days start from the date the phone was activated?  Because I haven't activated them yet.  D

I think the X has the same size SIM as the 6, so you could use that one.

o I have to activate the phones?  Kind of dumb to get a sim to activate the phones, then that kills the sim on my old phone (iphone 6), then get another sim card to activate the iphone 6 again since I planned to gift these iphone X's not to use them.... Do I have to use the phones? 

Not certain. Since the X hasn't actually been activated on AT&T, it's possibly what you'll have to do.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

The 60 day rule on postpaid is for new accounts.  I assume yours is not a new ATT Account, so 14 day rule should apply.  

I know this is late, but I have to agree, if not going to be used on ATT, and you know they sell phone’s locked, why buy ATT versions?  Verizon is required to sell phones unlocked.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.