Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 5, 2010
1:05:55 PM
Feel violate Iphone upgrade

So July 2008 bought some Iphone 3g's, because I had ATT account paid several hundred dollars more than the person with me, who was switching. Today went for upgrading to Iphone 4, now ATT pricing structure says $399 instead of $199. I feel totally violated by ATT for being a loyal customer, not just once bu a second time. once, shame on them, twice - would have been shame on me, but I am not going to be held hostage to their abuse without seriously thinking about it. What a shame.

So July 2008 bought some Iphone 3g's, because I had ATT account paid several hundred dollars more than the person with me, who was switching. Today went for upgrading to Iphone 4, now ATT pricing structure says $399 instead of $199. I feel totally violated by ATT for being a loyal customer, not just once bu a second time. once, shame on them, twice - would have been shame on me, but I am not going to be held hostage to their abuse without seriously thinking about it. What a shame.

Accepted Solution

Feel violate Iphone upgrade

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 1:32:12 PM
(0)
Professor

If it has been 2yrs since your last upgrade, you are eligible for the $199/299 pricing that new customers get.

If you have upgraded since July 2008, you may not eligible.

When you sign into your myWireless Account, what does it say your eligibility date is?

If it has been 2yrs since your last upgrade, you are eligible for the $199/299 pricing that new customers get.

If you have upgraded since July 2008, you may not eligible.

When you sign into your myWireless Account, what does it say your eligibility date is?

Re: Feel violate Iphone upgrade

2 of 13 (2,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 5:12:43 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Facci on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:46:54 AM

It's hard to even understand exactly what the exact problem is but Did you call or go into AT&T to inquire?  {Please keep it courteous}

It's hard to even understand exactly what the exact problem is but Did you call or go into AT&T to inquire?  {Please keep it courteous}

[ Edited ]
3 of 13 (2,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 5:36:57 PM
(0)
Professor

Are you sure you aren't eligible for an upgrade?  If you bought the 3G when it came out on July 2008, even if your contract went the entire 2 years, you should be eligible for an upgrade by now.  I bought a 3G on launch date in 2008 and was ready for an upgrade months before the iPhone 4 release date.

Are you sure you aren't eligible for an upgrade?  If you bought the 3G when it came out on July 2008, even if your contract went the entire 2 years, you should be eligible for an upgrade by now.  I bought a 3G on launch date in 2008 and was ready for an upgrade months before the iPhone 4 release date.

4 of 13 (2,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 5:29:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You either have some issue with your account, or you upgraded already since 2008. Like every other carrier AT&T gives existing customers "new customer pricing" every 2 years.

"Q. How do I know if I'm eligible for an upgrade?
A. Customers can check their eligibility at www.att.com/iPhone or by visiting any of our company-owned retail stores. If you're not currently eligible, we'll provide you with the date when you may become eligible. You also can call *NEW# (*639#) from your AT&T handset and receive a text with information about your upgrade eligibility."

You either have some issue with your account, or you upgraded already since 2008. Like every other carrier AT&T gives existing customers "new customer pricing" every 2 years.

"Q. How do I know if I'm eligible for an upgrade?
A. Customers can check their eligibility at www.att.com/iPhone or by visiting any of our company-owned retail stores. If you're not currently eligible, we'll provide you with the date when you may become eligible. You also can call *NEW# (*639#) from your AT&T handset and receive a text with information about your upgrade eligibility."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (2,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 7:42:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

As stated - bought the phones around 7/12/2008, the Iphone 3g's, never upgraded, still have the same phones. Have worked great, wanted to move to Iphone 4's together with my wife. On Family Talk 1400 plan. We've both been customers for well before Iphone's, actually she for well before ATT took over the service provider she had.

The billing shows 20 month for her and 23 months of me, which is strange. I will call customer service today as they were closed yesterday. Not complaining, just annoyed and questioning ATT motives for creating a $200 (or more) surcharge for Iphone when loyal customers want to stay up with technology advancements.

I have always been happy and satisfied with service on phone support, the store help really is not able to resolve much and most time refer me to contact customer service voice line.

Eventhough, the accounts are seperate, use ATT as internet -phone - Uverse provider as well.

As stated - bought the phones around 7/12/2008, the Iphone 3g's, never upgraded, still have the same phones. Have worked great, wanted to move to Iphone 4's together with my wife. On Family Talk 1400 plan. We've both been customers for well before Iphone's, actually she for well before ATT took over the service provider she had.

The billing shows 20 month for her and 23 months of me, which is strange. I will call customer service today as they were closed yesterday. Not complaining, just annoyed and questioning ATT motives for creating a $200 (or more) surcharge for Iphone when loyal customers want to stay up with technology advancements.

I have always been happy and satisfied with service on phone support, the store help really is not able to resolve much and most time refer me to contact customer service voice line.

Eventhough, the accounts are seperate, use ATT as internet -phone - Uverse provider as well.

6 of 13 (2,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 7:47:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by SURF0020 on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:46:06 AM

To Facci,

See post 12-06-2010 09:42:06 AM -  {Please keep it relevant and courteous}

To Facci,

See post 12-06-2010 09:42:06 AM -  {Please keep it relevant and courteous}

[ Edited ]
7 of 13 (2,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 7:52:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

To Dwill05 - ur post 12-05-2010 07:36:57 PM

To Dwill05 - ur post 12-05-2010 07:36:57 PM

8 of 13 (2,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 7:58:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

to Johnissj - ur post 12-06-2010 07:29:41 AM

Thank you - went that route yesterday - both at store and online - It'll take human intervention to adjust database if they can. The other thought was to check pricing for adding two lines, then coming back to drop two data packages on existing phones and have simple phones on those two lines. Even then it'll come out about the same maybe but it isn't just handing over an extra $400 dollars plus tax for something empty of any value and non useable.

to Johnissj - ur post 12-06-2010 07:29:41 AM

Thank you - went that route yesterday - both at store and online - It'll take human intervention to adjust database if they can. The other thought was to check pricing for adding two lines, then coming back to drop two data packages on existing phones and have simple phones on those two lines. Even then it'll come out about the same maybe but it isn't just handing over an extra $400 dollars plus tax for something empty of any value and non useable.

9 of 13 (2,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 6, 2010 8:00:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sounds like you should be eligble, so I'd call and talk to a human and find out why you're NOT eligble.

Sounds like you should be eligble, so I'd call and talk to a human and find out why you're NOT eligble.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 13 (2,453 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 8:53:55 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by BrianfromNO on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:57:58 AM

SURF0020, there's a Quote button above right, next to Spell Check.  That allows you to quote the person to whom you're responding.  See below for what that looks like.

Second, AT&T customer service reps do NOT work in this forum.  Any AT&T employees who are here (and they are identified by their signatures) are here on their own time not representing AT&T.  Nobody can help you in any official capacity here, so if you expect satisfaction from AT&T as a result of this post then you are bound to be disappointed.

Finally, you might want to familiarize yourself with the guidelines of this forum.  You can find the link in the upper right hand corner. Facci was simply pointing out that your post was kind of confusingly written.  We're trying to understand your problem so we can help.

SURF0020 wrote:

To Facci,

See post 12-06-2010 09:42:06 AM - {Please keep it relevant and courteous}

SURF0020, there's a Quote button above right, next to Spell Check.  That allows you to quote the person to whom you're responding.  See below for what that looks like.

Second, AT&T customer service reps do NOT work in this forum.  Any AT&T employees who are here (and they are identified by their signatures) are here on their own time not representing AT&T.  Nobody can help you in any official capacity here, so if you expect satisfaction from AT&T as a result of this post then you are bound to be disappointed.

Finally, you might want to familiarize yourself with the guidelines of this forum.  You can find the link in the upper right hand corner. Facci was simply pointing out that your post was kind of confusingly written.  We're trying to understand your problem so we can help.

SURF0020 wrote:

To Facci,

See post 12-06-2010 09:42:06 AM - {Please keep it relevant and courteous}

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (1,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 7:39:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

To all,

I did call Customer Service, and as usual, they were quite helpful in resolving my query. One thing that I did learn out of the experience that I will share as the outcome to my former dilemma.

My problem was that I had twenty months showing up on my contract prior to an upgrade being available, an early upgrade was available. The result would be that I would have to pay $399 versus $199 each Iphone 3g to Iphone 4 upgrade.

From the store's standpoint, they are following the guidelines they see in front of them on the system.

With respect to Customer Service help desk, they have available to them the chronological history of calls and results of those calls, thus in talking with the operators, there was agreement from her, and her manager, that through the sequence of conversations this past July and August it was apparent that we had the Iphone 3g since 07/12/2008. even though, we had to set up a new account, there was overlap of the accounts between the old cancelled account and the new account. This enabled me to at the time not be liable for a cancellation fee.

More importantly though, is that having the record of conversations with customer service in the database, even though they could not change the contract date in a short time period (this would be at a store level) they were able to make a new entry that there was agreement the store could make the change to allow for an upgrade as the phones and service had been in place for over twenty-four months.

This allowed me to go to the store and request them to make the change in the database. I do have the Iphone 4's now, and a contract for another 24-months.

Lesson, with questions to your account, eventhough Customer Service may not be able to make the changes required, their and your collaberation on your account questions and answers can be critical to favorably outcomes. It works to be aware of what is available through the website, and talking through conversations is critical to communication. For this I am grateful for taking on the learning and training I put myself through Landmark Education > Communication: Access to Power.

Thank you all for responding, what you are up to in creating a community that works.

To all,

I did call Customer Service, and as usual, they were quite helpful in resolving my query. One thing that I did learn out of the experience that I will share as the outcome to my former dilemma.

My problem was that I had twenty months showing up on my contract prior to an upgrade being available, an early upgrade was available. The result would be that I would have to pay $399 versus $199 each Iphone 3g to Iphone 4 upgrade.

From the store's standpoint, they are following the guidelines they see in front of them on the system.

With respect to Customer Service help desk, they have available to them the chronological history of calls and results of those calls, thus in talking with the operators, there was agreement from her, and her manager, that through the sequence of conversations this past July and August it was apparent that we had the Iphone 3g since 07/12/2008. even though, we had to set up a new account, there was overlap of the accounts between the old cancelled account and the new account. This enabled me to at the time not be liable for a cancellation fee.

More importantly though, is that having the record of conversations with customer service in the database, even though they could not change the contract date in a short time period (this would be at a store level) they were able to make a new entry that there was agreement the store could make the change to allow for an upgrade as the phones and service had been in place for over twenty-four months.

This allowed me to go to the store and request them to make the change in the database. I do have the Iphone 4's now, and a contract for another 24-months.

Lesson, with questions to your account, eventhough Customer Service may not be able to make the changes required, their and your collaberation on your account questions and answers can be critical to favorably outcomes. It works to be aware of what is available through the website, and talking through conversations is critical to communication. For this I am grateful for taking on the learning and training I put myself through Landmark Education > Communication: Access to Power.

Thank you all for responding, what you are up to in creating a community that works.

Re: Feel violate Phone upgrade

12 of 13 (1,500 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 10:31:45 AM
(0)
Master

After reading this, I thought I'd contact ATT. I went from a basic rep, to an international rep. to someone else.  In the end, they could not add an icon to my phone. Or do anything.. But, they said I would be notifified if I was using too much off network.. Is this true or should I be getting back on the phone?

After reading this, I thought I'd contact ATT. I went from a basic rep, to an international rep. to someone else.  In the end, they could not add an icon to my phone. Or do anything.. But, they said I would be notifified if I was using too much off network.. Is this true or should I be getting back on the phone?

Re: Feel violate Phone upgrade

13 of 13 (1,466 Views)