For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
jimkarlin's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, December 30th, 2010 4:01 PM

Edge equivalent speeds on 3g - possible hardware/firmware issue on mine?

Howdy folks - iPhone 3g, and I'm getting horrific slow data speed.  I don't think it's the network this time though.  Operational speed is not an issue here, I'm actually not all that disappointed with device performance, particularly when it's 2 revisions back.

Screenshot - slow speed

Granted, this screen capture is at 3 bars, but I see the same speed regardless of signal strength.  I had my father-in-law do a bandwidth test on his iPhone 4 (I know, different hardware, but still the same network) - he was getting 1.4mb.  My latency has always been obscene.

Hard reset does not have any effect on the data speed

Wifi speed is very good, which leads me to suspect a possible issue with the 3g radio.

I'm currently running firmware 4.1 (8B117), modem firmware is 05.14.02.  I can't say with any certainty whether the 3g speed issue started when I installed 4.1.

Should I perhaps make the jump to 4.2 to see if I'm looking at an issue that could be solved by that?

I have to make the device last until at least March '11, which is when I'm up for discounted upgrade, so I'm looking at possible troubleshooting routes.

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

First upgrade to the latest firmware.  Second your issue may be the need for a new SIM????  Latency is what is causing your issue.   It may be the network but it may also be a need to reset your network settings under settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.   Something may be caught up?

Give that I try but I would definately upgrade your OS as it also includes Carrier file updates to make your iPhone work better with the network.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Exactly what I was hoping for - I'll try each suggestion one at a time and take note of any changes in speed at each step.

I'll report back if I see any changes.

Thanks!

Jim

Edit:  Reset network settings shows no evident change - I'll perform a firmware update when I get home from work.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, please get back here if, and after, you upgrade to firmware 4.2.  I've been reading many horror stories from 4.2 users, especially wi-fi performance hits with the new version.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Update - 4.2.1 has been installed, and while I do observe an improvement in visible performance (switching from screen to screen seems like it is faster, apps seem to load faster), I only saw 1 speed test using the FCC Bandwith Test that was over 1 meg.  Granted, coverage in my home is crapola, but I still had 2 bars of 3g signal.  Subsequent tests were equal or near the same speed I was experiencing before.

Prior to my speed test, I ran Free Memory and was at 40+ mb before running the test.  27.49mb is reported as available at the point of the test below:

I observe a marginal increase in download speed, significant improvement in latency, but the upload is still el-stinko.

Several tests were taken standing outside so I had the best possible signal at home (which still is only about 3 bars, thanks AT&T 😞  )

Here is a screenshot of the history

The above showed approximately 3 bars.  Please disregard the signal indicator in the screenshot, as it was taken inside the house, which definitely has lower signal strength.  I do not have a signal booster, nor do I feel it's necessary to add to my carrier's profit to get one.  The tests were performed outside (in the cold) with 2-3 bars of signal indicated.

My next step, as recommended by a previous contributor, will be a visit to the local AT&T store.  Potentially, for a new SIM card.

So far, I'm pleased with the 4.2.1 firmware.  Unlocking the device using a 4-(numeric) digit PIN feels faster, and apps appear to launch faster.  Latency on the 3g network as well as my home 802.11G network is improved.  I still have a ways to go though.

Tomorrow I will report back with my findings after a visit to the store.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

One question - is there any preparation I should do before asking for a new SIM card?  I plan on a backup via iTunes tonight.

Is anything else stored on the SIM?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

@jimkarlin wrote:

One question - is there any preparation I should do before asking for a new SIM card?  I plan on a backup via iTunes tonight.

Is anything else stored on the SIM?

No reason to do a backup specifically for this.  Only your AT&T account information is stored on the SIM.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Success - 3g is now 1 meg plus.

Upload still sucks, but I'm not too surprised.

The AT&T Store out here didn't even balk at replacing my SIM.  Thanks all.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.