For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
jaytang's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 12th, 2016 4:14 PM

Does iPhone 7 Plus Model A1661 support LTE on AT&T netowrk?

AT&T is not listed as supported LTE network for A1661. But this model does support all LTE bands and cricket is a supported LTE network. So will I be able to use this variant on AT&T's LTE network? 

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @jaytang,

According to http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-7-iphone-7-plus they support the exact same LTE bands so there shoudn't be a problem as long as it's unlocked.

The only difference I'm aware of this year is that the AT&T and T-Mobile versions are using an Intel chip that only supports GSM so they can't be used on Verizon or Sprint, but the Verizon and Sprint (A1660 and A1661) support both GSM and CDMA. And A1660 and A1661 will most likely end up being the SIM free version later this year.

EDIT

Also, if you scroll down on http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/ to Cellular and Wireless, you can see that the only differences are that A1778 and A1784 (the AT&T/T-Mobile version) don't support TD-SCDMA and CDMA EV-DO Rev. A.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you @jt212s.I already ordered iPhone 7 Plus on Apple's iPhone upgrade program. As they guaranteed me the phone should come unlocked. I have to order a phone from Verizon since I am on Verizon now and they cannot make the switch happen while ordering from the upgrade program. They told me to try on AT&T within the 14-day return window so I can return it if LTE does not come up. I guess I will just wait and see.

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

@jaytang,

You should be good to go then. But definitely, just use your 14 day period to try it out. Maybe even just find a friend willing to let you put their SIM card in your phone. Any friend with a nano SIM should work fine.

I'm curious as to which model I'm getting because I'm doing iPhone Upgrade Program which is supposed to let you switch between carriers as you want, but it says I'm getting the GSM AT&T version, which would effectively lock my options to AT&T and T-Mobile.

Definitely come back here and post once you receive it and let us know if it works out for you.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

@jt212s They require an active account for enrollment in the upgrade program. I guess if you are on AT&T/T-Mobile, they will just give you a GSM model with Intel modem. From what I heard the intel modem is significantly cheaper than the Qualcomm modem. So Apple can make more money by giving you the AT&T/T-Mobile variant.

I will post the results of using A1661 on AT&T once I get the phone. Can I go to an AT&T store and borrow a SIM card?

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

@jaytang,

I don't know if there's necessarily a policy against it, but I also don't know if a store would do it. A specific sales rep might let you put theirs in your phone, especially if it'll lead to a sale if the phone works.

There really shouldn't be a problem though. That model should be the SIM free version that's released later anyway.

And as far as the Intel thing, yeah it's interesting. Becuase the thing they advertise with the iPhone Upgrade Program is "change your carrier when you want", so it would be annoying if they did that. I don't plan on leaving AT&T, but it would be nice to know the phone would work with any carrier.

Justin

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I spoke to Apple about this. They agreed that the specs on the Qualcomm modem will work on all networks and the Intel will not. There is no research on the potential speed differences between the two chips on the ATT network yet. That's a question I want answered. The processor makes a big difference in speed but the modem does as well.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

7 years ago

Have you gotten you A1660* yet and how does it work on ATT and T-Mobile Networks?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@rpiplica wrote:

Have you gotten you A1660* yet and how does it work on ATT and T-Mobile Networks?

@rpiplica

The Verizon CDMA version works perfectly with any carrier and is unlocked out of the box.  

I owned the Verizon version of the iPhone 6, which also worked perfectly.  It will use HD voice and wifi calling on postpaid accounts just like any other iPhone.  

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks I don't use CDMA but I travel a bit so I like the option. I am buying the unlocked phone from Apple anyway just wondering about the performance of the A1660* on GSM networks ATT/T-Mobile/Vodafone etc...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

It makes zero difference what carrier you use the phone on.  It will work as well on ATT as on Verizon or any other carrier.   It's pretty universal. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.