Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Do I need to transfer SIM card to new iPhone when upgrading

Highlighted
Contributor

Do I need to transfer SIM card to new iPhone when upgrading

I am upgrading from an iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone 7 Plus. When activating the new phone, do I need to move my old SIM card from the 6 Plus to the 7 Plus, or can I just use the new card which is included with the 7 Plus?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by prairiedog4772
‎09-20-2016 3:04 PM

Re: Do I need to transfer SIM card to new iPhone when upgrading

You can do either but is normally best to use the new SIM card that comes with the new iPhone. You will need to activate that new SIM card. Once you activate the new sim, the old sim will be deactivated. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Not necessarily. I got 2 text messages from AT&T asking me to visit their store to get a new SIM. So I did tonight. Manager examined iPhone7 & asked if there were any problems with calls or data usage using LTE, like internet browsing using LTE & not WiFi. I said no. She stated then it is not necessary: especially when phone functions fine and has no connectivity issues, & phone displays AT&T logo next to the WiFi icon. The SIM card I currently have in iPhone 7 with iOS 10.0.1 was transferred from prior iPhone5 at Apple Store.
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

my iPhone was stolen with my old sim card and i was sent a replacement because my screen was broke but in that process my old phone was stollen can i still keep my same phone number even if my old sim card is gone?

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

my iPhone 7s screen was cracked and i just had a replacement sent to me so in the mean time i still had to use my old phone and was supposed to turn it in but now I can not it was stollen yesterday with my original sim card. will I be able to keep my existing phone number without that sim card?

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

@1Adira Yes, you still keep your number. You need to call and get the new SIM card activated with your number.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support