The new iPhone 15
THX1965's profile

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 7:44 PM

Closed

Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

I can't unlock my iPhone 6 (which is out of contract) because AT&T claim the IMEI number dosn't match a compatible device. This is the error message that I have been getting 3 times in a row:

"Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn’t match a device that’s compatible with the AT&T network.

Check the IMEI number by dialing *#06#, or check the device settings, and then submit a new request."

This is of course nonsense, since I have been using my iPhone on the AT&T network for 2 years. I triple checked the IMEI number and it is correct. The device gives me the same correct number either when I look it up through device settings or when I dial *#06#.  This iPhone - purchased through Apple and activated through AT&T - was on a 2-year plan and is now paid off.

I really need to unlock this phone. Customer service can't or won't help. Why can't this issue not be fixed by a simple phone call?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Markus

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I am having a similar issue. Imei is not recognized online. Can you message me privately so this matter can be addressed. Thanks 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I wish they were that helpful for us. We’ve spent weeks trying to get our phones unlocked. Getting this same reasoning. The phone was purchased through them and has been paid off. They still refuse to unlock it saying it’s not an att phone 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have iPhone 6 Plus and I don’t revive call and txt some one stole my IMEI num. what can I do . 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I've been having this same problem with my Iphone 6 plus. I got it from a customer of mine who was with cricket. she did a BYOB from AT&T to Cricket. Phone was paid in full, even the warranty through apple is exspired. I have all the info on the phone including all the old accounts info and they wont do anything for me. I repair iphones at my job (how i got this one) Already contacted apple and AT&T along with Cricket. AT&T tells me its not their problem, nothing they can do  its not with them, but yet Cricket and Apple says it is. Been going through this for days and its starting to really bug me. This is the exact reason Im not with this company anymore and switched from them years ago, customer service is horrible. Only time anything gets done is when you get an American manager to help you. =[

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi,

I had a Iphone 6 which was replaced by Iphone 7 through Insurance.

As you mentioned in point 6. if I need to correct IMEI in AT&T system how can I do it online, as I am in india can't call them directly.

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

Actually I have a galaxy s8, bought in an at&t store and just paid off my phone 24 hour ago (they say you have to wait that long to unlock it). The #06# code gave me an error message too. I found out I can go on my phone to settings -> About phone to find my IMEI. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Can you contact me too, please I am having the same issue with my phone. I have been trying since yesterday and still no help. I have a Motorola G6 play and I when I try to unlock it so I can move everything to the new phone and I keep getting that the IMEI is not an AT&T but you guys were the one that shipped it to me. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Nickknow wrote:

Can you contact me too, please I am having the same issue with my phone. I have been trying since yesterday and still no help. I have a Motorola G6 play and I when I try to unlock it so I can move everything to the new phone.  What does carrier unlocking have to do with transferring your information?  (It doesn’t).  

and I keep getting that the IMEI is not an AT&T but you guys were the one that shipped it to me.   Are you trying to unlock the new phone just sent to you?   If yes, of course it’s not registered yet.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

@attcares I am also having the same issue with my IME number but am unable to get intouch with someone in customer service to help.  Can you guys help?

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare @ATTCares Same issue as everyone here. Unable to unlock with message = Looks like the IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device. Try entering it again. Dial *#06# on your mobile phone to make sure you have the right IMEI.

I know I have the correct IMEI, jumped through a ton of hoops previously to even get to this point. Please help

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.