The new iPhone 15
THX1965's profile

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 7:44 PM

Closed

Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

I can't unlock my iPhone 6 (which is out of contract) because AT&T claim the IMEI number dosn't match a compatible device. This is the error message that I have been getting 3 times in a row:

"Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn’t match a device that’s compatible with the AT&T network.

Check the IMEI number by dialing *#06#, or check the device settings, and then submit a new request."

This is of course nonsense, since I have been using my iPhone on the AT&T network for 2 years. I triple checked the IMEI number and it is correct. The device gives me the same correct number either when I look it up through device settings or when I dial *#06#.  This iPhone - purchased through Apple and activated through AT&T - was on a 2-year plan and is now paid off.

I really need to unlock this phone. Customer service can't or won't help. Why can't this issue not be fixed by a simple phone call?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Markus

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Really, something is going on.  Im still locked and have been trying since the 17th!  I know once I do switch, I vow never to give ATT another dime.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

So I have been trying for over a week as well. Put in a ticket with AT&T 5 days ago and have heard nothing. So frustrated I went to the local AT&T store last night and it was beyond horrible! We ended up just walking out because they were so nasty and mean to us. Just rude! Can't believe they have jobs. Once I finally get this resolved, we plan on writing to whom ever about these issues and their lack of customer service. Just sad that hundreds of people have this issue and AT&T is the only carrier that is giving issues.
Well they lost a whole house hold last night. We've been loyal AT&T customers for 16 years and that means nothing!
Sad sad sad!
Bye AT&T

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

7 years ago

Here is what worked for me:  Since it is a law that carriers must unlock a phone (with certain restrictions), I filed an FCC complaint and received call from someone on behalf or the president of ATT.  Although the phone was unlocked an hour ago, he told me that he can unlock any phone from his side.  I hope this helps someone.  I hesitate to post a link to the FCC, but if you google it you can find it easily.  I wish I had done this sooner.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I'm also having the same issue! Why is ATT going through this surge in unlocking problems? Something needs to be corrected in the departments handling these matters.

I also have opened a case to which I'm hoping I can get a resolution asap. This is a time sensitive manner for me. Would love for ATT cares to come to my rescue as well.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I basically had to complain extra hard, and the customer service lady unlocked it on the spot. I'm now on another network that rhymes with horizon. They don't lock their phones. Buh-bye.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I am having the same issue I've tried the unlock request twice now I received a request confirmation which I submitted both times with no reply when I checked the status it said it's doesn't matched a compatible device my iPhone 6 has been paid off for about 6 months

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I may have to try the FCC route if I do not here back soon

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I'm right there with you! I tweeted last night how upset I was with AT&T and someone direct messaged me at 8:30am saying they would help. I sent all the info The asked and never heard back...it's now 10:57pm. I've truly had it with them. From there terrible customer service and rudeness, to try and scheme their way out of doing the right thing! I am so glad I am jumping ship and I'm bringing a lot of people with me!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Okay to be fair: I had two phones that I needed to unlock. The first one was a iPhone 6S that I paid for outright and I knew for sure was qualified to be unlocked. I complained super hard because I was already paying for the new carrier. Customer service eventually unlocked it after pounding of fists.

Now I happened to have an extra locked iPhone 5 that I just bought off of eBay, and as such, I couldn't really use customer service escalation channels (and for all I knew, the eBay seller really didn't pay it off). These last couple days I submitted requests for it to be unlocked and I would get the standard "IMEI not compatible with our network" non sense, but I just tried it again today and it went through.

So it looks like there has been some progress but I'd rather they'd just come out and say "Hey there's an error in our system, we're working to fix it." instead of saying over and over "herr durr you gave us the wrong IMEI, you must be dumb"

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It says device is not compatible with att but it is an att device that was on my acct for 2 yrs.
Att mobile [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.].
Contact me at mobile above.
Thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.