The new iPhone 15
Chewy's profile

Mentor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 4:33 AM

Decreased reception and speed on 4s? Opinions?

Hi- this is my first iphone.  Always had treos or blackberry(s).  The iphone is getting half a signal bar where it was getting a full signal on the BB 9700.  The phone seems to be discharging faster because of this.  Wifi, GPS, and all push notifications are off!  The speed test never go over 5meg when the 9700 would usually always hit it.  I am in a +hspa area.  No dropped calls though.  Could this be the sim or the phone?  The examples I have given have been all around town. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

12 years ago

I wouldn't worry about what the signal bar says.  As part of the antennagate fiasco on the iPhone 4, Apple said they made the signal bar more realistic.  The phone will work fine with even one bar showing.  Regarding the speed, I found that I was getting only 1/10 of the speed on my 4S that I was getting on my old iPhone 4.  I reseated the sIM card, and the data speeds went back to normal.

How are you testing the speed?  Are you using the same exact method that you used on your previous phone?  I've found that some speed tests give consistently different results than other tests.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Chewy wrote:

Hi- this is my first iphone.  Always had treos or blackberry(s).  The iphone is getting half a signal bar where it was getting a full signal on the BB 9700.  The phone seems to be discharging faster because of this.  Wifi, GPS, and all push notifications are off!  The speed test never go over 5meg when the 9700 would usually always hit it.  I am in a +hspa area.  No dropped calls though.  Could this be the sim or the phone?  The examples I have given have been all around town. Thanks!

If I had to take a logical guess as to what the problem could be, I would say that the SIM card could be the issue. Or perhaps the phone; maybe both. I would suggest getting your SIM card replaced and then take note to see if your service strengthens back to what it normally was.

Good luck!

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong in your situation.  In order for me to have more information, you would have to compare two iPhones 4S in the same settings.  With two different phones (BlackBerry and iPhone 4S), you may notice two different levels of signal strength, since the antennas are different.  Also, 5Mbps is decent speed.  Only if you were testing under 1Mbps would I be concerned with the speed that you are getting on the iPhone 4S.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have an Apple 4s and it does not get reception at my house.  The phone shows 3 or 4 bars but will not make calls or send text.  ATT said I needed a microcell and I have not been able to get that to work.  Any suggestions?

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

11 years ago

This is an old thread, you might get better exposure with a new thread for this question. Micro cells can be trickie if the surrounding cellular signal is just good enough and your phone tries to switch between the tower and your micro cell. Try moving your microcell around your house to see if that helps.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have moved my microcell numerous times...to no avail.  I will get a new thread to see if there is help.  Thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.