Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Deactivating Stolen Phone

Highlighted
Contributor

Deactivating Stolen Phone

Very simple, a relative who now lives a few states away from me has a phone that is under my name and is legally mine, through att of course. Payments are still owed on the relatives phone, which they agreed to pay me for through money orders. They have refused to make payments since they moved. Problem..i'm paying for a phone I don't have in my possession any more. I want to deactivate the relatives phone, but also completely make the phone useless. I'll still finish paying off the phone.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎01-27-2019 5:09 AM

Re: Deactivating Stolen Phone

You can login to your account, select that line, and suspend the phone as lost or stolen.  This stops service to the SIM card and blacklists the phone.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Seems like i'll probably just have to report the phone stolen to the police and see if it can be seized and returned..thanks for the response however, I appreciate it.

Message 3 of 8

You agreed to sell them the phone. That is not theft. You could try suing them, but if you report the phone stolen, you could actually be arrested for making a false police report.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Sage

You asked how to deactivate the phones, not recover them.  🙄.  

Chances are a family member who won’t pay for their phone when they said they would isn’t going to return the phones whole or working - just for spite.  You can only cut your losses.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Thanks for the help! This will save me so much trouble.
Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Can you still text if your phone is suspended?

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Sage

@MALowe92 wrote:

Can you still text if your phone is suspended?

No.  You have no cellular service 

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support