The new iPhone 15
MrsRMH's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 1:41 PM

Data Usage has INCREASED tremendously, no change in my use

For the past twelve month my data usage has ranged from a high 151.7 and a low of 41.2 mb per month.  When my 12/15/11 cycle began large megabytes began to show up each night which have put me way over the 200 mb limit and forced me to change my data plan.  These transfers are posting to my account shortly after midnight each night. Calls to AT&T and Apple point to user error.  I am retired and have not changed anything I am doing any large downloading of music, videos, etc.  The largest transfer occurred on 1/23/12 and was 249548kb.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

12 years ago

The charges are not reported in real time.

The usual troubleshooting includes asking questions about new apps you may have installed, push email, enabling icloud.

The biggest "suprise" uses of data are visual voicemail (yes, getting a voicemail message downloaded to your phone uses data) and error reporting.

You can't do much about voicemail, but you can make sure you turn off error reporting:

Disable Diagnostic Data Sending

1. Connect the iPhone to your computer.
2. Open iTunes and select iPhone.
3. Right click on it. Choose “Reset Warnings.”

4. Disconnect iPhone

5. Connect & Synch the iPhone. You will see a pop up message. Select “Don’t Send.”

That will prevent any data use by the system to send crash reports to Apple, which can use your wirelss data.

Other than that and voicemail, something you're running is using the data.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

You are not alone. I have had this 200MB for months, and now all of the sudden i'm going over, without changing my usage habbits and mostly connected to wi-fi. Its a tactic ATT uses to make people switch to a more expensive plan, WE ARE BEEN ROBBED!!!

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Turn data off. I have unlimited and I still disable data when not in use as there is no point keeping it on all the time

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Since I have done these things I am only seeing minimal data use, because I am mainly using WIFI, which I thought I was using before. Looks like over night when I thought the phone was using WIFI it was not.

I am still stuck with a 2GB plan which I had to upgrade to  when 249,000+ megabytes posted for one day.  Again what amazes me is that the larger data transfers didn't start until after my 12/15/11 billing cycle.  Nothing over 200 MB in the past 12 months.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I don't get that last message so don't have opportunity to select "Don't send".  More info?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Are you able to view posts 1-4 on that gives details on this subject?  I'm not sure what you are asking?  I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I used most of the tips that were posted.   One thing I did was turned off all notifications.  Then as an application requested I turned only those notifications on.  I also make sure that the cellular data is off (all data must use wifi), especially when I am at home where I have wifi.  settings/general/network/

I also went to setting/about/diagnostic & usage/ and checked don't send (no diagnostics are being sent to Apple.

I have not had any unusual large data transfers occurring since I made these changes.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Did your area recently upgrade to LTE? When we got LTE here in Colorado, I noticed my usage go from about 1GB a month to 4-5 just because it was so much faster.  I'm on a tiered Mobile Share plan so my bill didn't increase too much.  One thing you can do, however, is set a data counter on the phone.  On my iPhone, I reset the cellular data calculator whenever I travel abroad so I can keep track of my usage.  I have to say, I have never seen the AT&T billing be off regarding data consumption.  At least not yet. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I had and still have a 3GS phone.  I ended up following tips to turn things off, especially the feature that was sending data to Apple nightly I believe.  The other thing that I began to do was to turn off cellular data when I have wifi access.

My usage the month prior to the 2 months of spiked usage was 94.2 (DEC11).  Following is the usage after that:

Jan12 - 312.6, Feb12 - 328.9 at this point I was forced to switch to 2GB or pay additional for use over the 200MB plan I had.  Usage after the upgrade Mar12 - 61.6, Apr12 - 227.4, May12 - 125.7, Jun12 - 105.7, Jul12 - 176.7, Aug12 - 134.6, Sep12 - 106.8, Oct12 - 75.1, Nov12 - 61.0, Dec12 - 104.3 and Jan13 - 236.9.  So I'm stuck with 2GB and can't go back to a lower 300MB plan.

I appreciate all of the feedback.  If and when I upgrade to a 4 or 5, I will sure to track the usage on a regular basis to see what things can be turned off so I am not forced to upgrade to an even higher plan.  SMH - I just don't know what happened for 2 months of the past 13 months.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.