The new iPhone 15
kSpringfieldIL's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, August 21st, 2017 12:13 AM

Customer Loyalty upgrade/incentive on new device has been exactly the opposite experience.

My iPhone 6 randomly died last Sunday August 13. I went to an Apple Store Monday morning to confirm it was totally dead. It was. By Monday evening (Aug 14) I had a new phone ordered through AT&T Customer Loyalty. I was told it should ship within 2-3 days and I should have it in 3-5 days. Not only is it August 20 now and the phone hasn't even shipped, but the estimated ship date is August 28-Sept. 5. I have no working phone. Not even a landline. I work full time from home. This is entirely unacceptable. I have spent at least 6 hours in total on customer service chat over the past week. (I can't call because I DON'T HAVE A PHONE). I had to agree to an upgrade in my service plan to get the deal on the phone but I will end up going probably 2 weeks without any ability to use my service since I HAVE NO PHONE. Even worse, they won't even let me cancel the order. This issue is putting my job in jeopardy, But since they won't allow me to cancel the order, I fear going elsewhere or ordering another phone will only end up in double charges... I am in cell phone purgatory.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

You were at a apple store you should have just got one there. Or in the mean time go buy a 10 dollar flip phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@kSpringfieldIL  Also, don't know what scam artist insisted you had to upgrade your plan to buy a new phone, that's totally false.  There are no more contracts or deals.  Phones are purchased at retail price, with installments if you don't want to pay lump sum all at once.  The new plan might be a better deal for you, but it isn't required 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@kSpringfieldIL You were at the Apple Store and you left to go buy an iPhone?

Did loyalty give you an extra special deal? (supposedly)

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Yes. A new SE for 99 cents.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Ah...  don't hold your breath.  My bet is the phone sale has been vetoed.  There are no more contracts.  As far as I know loyalty isn't allowed to give away phones unless they are the really cheap ones.  (Like $50)

I assume this all because you still had some obligation left on the iPhone 6 that died.  

One of the ACEs asked about the SE, it's a $400 phone but you can buy it half price if you walk in to an ATT store or Best Buy and pick it off the Prepiad rack and pay the full $200.  Then you don't go back into a Next agreement or a contract.  

FYI the iPhone 6S is also sold as a prepaid at a deep discount.  Also would have to be paid in full.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Ok. Good tips, I guess. I did not have any remaining obligation on the 6 that died. I always pay outright for my devices. And I was not under contract. Just demanded a deal on a newer iPhone since I felt like mine should have lasted longer than that and I got it through them. An SE for 99 cents is what I was offered. But apparently I was offered a deal by ATT Customer Loyalty that could not actually be honored....

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@kSpringfieldIL  While it might be true the phone should have lasted longer, it's not an ATT problem as they don't handle warranty on Apple at all.  Apple doesn't allow any of the carriers to handle warranty.  You might try Apple directly and see if they can help you out.  Worth a shot, but what ever you do don't let them take it on a "we'll see" basis.  You don't want to get charged a hefty price for out of warranty repair or replacement.  

If you like the size, go buy the 6S off the Gophone/prepaid rack.  I think it's $100-200 under retail cost.  

You can also buy used on eBay, but that isn't for everyone.  I've bought several used phones off eBay that have lasted me 2 years or more.  They drop in price 6-12 months after release.

Just really looks bad loyalty did that when they can't be sure they can honor it.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Yes. I understand. That is why I went to Apple first. I have an Apple Store
locally and I went there. I agree the device is made by apple, not AT&T.
But AT&T offered me the deal they offered me, so I accepted it. But then
they couldn't make good on it. I just spent probably 6-8 hours on chat with
them - since I have no working phone. Insanity.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@kSpringfieldIL wrote:
Yes. I understand. That is why I went to Apple first. I have an Apple Store
locally and I went there. I agree the device is made by apple, not AT&T.
But AT&T offered me the deal they offered me, so I accepted it. But then
they couldn't make good on it. I just spent probably 6-8 hours on chat with
them - since I have no working phone. Insanity.

@kSpringfieldIL

Springfield does not have a true APPLE store....  Simply Mac is not even close to a real apple store....  Gamestop owns simply mac.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

OK. I am sure that is true. But it is where Apple Support sent me for
diagnosis.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.