Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

Tutor

Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

I have several contacts that I have custom ringtones for. But when they call, the ringtone I have set for them doesn't play. The main ringtone of my phone plays.So, how do I get my phone to play the custom ringtone I have assigned to several of my contacts?
Message 1 of 21 (12,499 Views)
Mentor

Re: Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

Are you running the very latest iOS 5.1.1? I think there were such issues where custom ringtones would revert back to Marimba in the first iOS 5.0 edition.
Message 2 of 21 (12,447 Views)
Tutor

Yes I'm running is 5.1.1 (9B206).
Message 3 of 21 (12,445 Views)
Former Community Manager

When you go into Settings>Sounds>Ringtones, do you see the ringtones listed there?

When you connect your phone with iTunes, do you see the ringtones listed in iTunes? If not, you may need to re-add them to iTunes and sync them to your phone again. 

You'll need to make sure the ringtone is under 30 seconds long. Tones over 30 seconds won't play. This happened to me and it tripped me up until I figured it out. 

Hope this helps, let us know!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 21 (12,444 Views)
Tutor

Hi jamileh,

All the ringtones show up in Settings>Sounds>Ringtones and in iTunes aswel also they are all below 30 seconds. It is doing my head in.
Message 5 of 21 (12,437 Views)
Former Community Manager

Mine as well! I was certain it was the 30 second thing!

Can you assign non-custom ring tones to specific people? Try assigning a tone like Trill or Piano Riff to a contact and see if you still hear the Marimba (default) tone. 

Try removing the custom tones from iTunes, syncing, re-adding then syncing again. 

I suggest trying it with just one ringtone and if that works, do the rest. Less work that way. 

Let me know how that turns out!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 21 (12,429 Views)
Tutor

Jamileh, I have set the ringtone to a few standard ones to a contact but it still defaults to Marimba, I have tried restoring the iPhone but it still hasn't work
Message 7 of 21 (12,428 Views)
Former Community Manager

You've got me stumped! If the standard ringtones worked, I'd look at the format of the custom ringtones but since the standard ringtones don't even work; there's a deeper issue.

One last thing to try and then I think it's time to hit up Apple for assistance. 

It's a longshot, but bear with me:

- plug your phone into your computer

- deselect the "sync ringtones" option

- sync the phone

- deauthorize the computer

- reauthorize the computer

- reselect "sync ringtones"

- sync the phone

If that doesn't work....

Here's a link to Apple's community: https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa and their iPhone support site: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

Please let us know how you end up. This is going to bug me until we figure it out!

--------------

Message 8 of 21 (12,425 Views)
ACE - Master

Scouser10 wrote:
Jamileh, I have set the ringtone to a few standard ones to a contact but it still defaults to Marimba, I have tried restoring the iPhone but it still hasn't work
So when you go into a contact and select a custom ring tone, does it play? It should. If it does not play when you select one, that may mean something is wrong with the ringtone.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 21 (12,421 Views)
Expert

Did you create the ringtones on your own or are they purchased? If you created them ar they .m4r files?

Message 10 of 21 (12,415 Views)
Tutor

Sandblaster
When I select the ringtone on a contact it plays no problem, if I set the custom ringtone to play as the default it plays when the phone rings.

Wingrider01
I have created the ringtones with iTunes and renamed them from m4a to m4r, I also have purchased them from iTunes but still have the same issue.

Jamileh
I will try that once I get home and if it doesn't work I will contact apple like you said.
Message 11 of 21 (12,403 Views)
Former Community Manager

Definitely keep us updated!

--------------

Message 12 of 21 (12,376 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had this same problem.  Turns out it was user error in my case.  I had the person's phone number saved twice under two different contacts.  Once I deleted the 2nd occurrance of the phone # and contact, the personalized ringtone worked just fine.

Message 13 of 21 (9,026 Views)
Master

Just a note to those running a Mac with Garage Band you can create your own ringtones from your existing iTunes library.

Message 14 of 21 (9,013 Views)
Expert

oz_1 wrote:

Just a note to those running a Mac with Garage Band you can create your own ringtones from your existing iTunes library.

for PC users you can create the ringtones using Itunes also. Just takes a couple of extra manual steps

Message 15 of 21 (8,980 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support