For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Scouser10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 2:16 PM

Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

I have several contacts that I have custom ringtones for. But when they call, the ringtone I have set for them doesn't play. The main ringtone of my phone plays.So, how do I get my phone to play the custom ringtone I have assigned to several of my contacts?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Make sure that the phone number is only in your contact list once. If it is in more than once, it will only play the default tone.
Make sure that the ringtones play when you preview them. Make sure that they are in the proper format.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

@jane697 wrote:

@oz_1 wrote:

Most of the problems I see with ringtones is when you right click the song and Get Info the extension is m4a instead of m4r and not sure on the PC side but on the Mac side the ringtone needs to be converted to AAC then change the extension from m4a to m4r.

Correct--it is true/required on the PC/Windows side as well...ringtone file needs to be renamed with a m4r file extension (e.g., rename ringtone.m4a to ringtone.m4r) in order for both iTunes and iPhone to recognize it as a (iPhone) ringtone rather than just a regular audio file.

Note--I'm going off of memory here (I don't have iTunes installed here at work--LOL), but even though you can use iTunes to create ringtones, the ringtone files themselves need to be added to the "Ringtones" section (I think that's what it's called--please correct me if I'm wrong) in iTunes in order for you to then be able to add them to your iPhone.

In 11.1.5 if you do the conversion and change the extention when you import ,it will automatically go to Ringtones because of the change from m4a to m4r.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

12 years ago

Are you running the very latest iOS 5.1.1? I think there were such issues where custom ringtones would revert back to Marimba in the first iOS 5.0 edition.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Yes I'm running is 5.1.1 (9B206).

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

When you go into Settings>Sounds>Ringtones, do you see the ringtones listed there?

When you connect your phone with iTunes, do you see the ringtones listed in iTunes? If not, you may need to re-add them to iTunes and sync them to your phone again. 

You'll need to make sure the ringtone is under 30 seconds long. Tones over 30 seconds won't play. This happened to me and it tripped me up until I figured it out. 

Hope this helps, let us know!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Hi jamileh,

All the ringtones show up in Settings>Sounds>Ringtones and in iTunes aswel also they are all below 30 seconds. It is doing my head in.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Mine as well! I was certain it was the 30 second thing!

Can you assign non-custom ring tones to specific people? Try assigning a tone like Trill or Piano Riff to a contact and see if you still hear the Marimba (default) tone. 

Try removing the custom tones from iTunes, syncing, re-adding then syncing again. 

I suggest trying it with just one ringtone and if that works, do the rest. Less work that way. 

Let me know how that turns out!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Jamileh, I have set the ringtone to a few standard ones to a contact but it still defaults to Marimba, I have tried restoring the iPhone but it still hasn't work

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

You've got me stumped! If the standard ringtones worked, I'd look at the format of the custom ringtones but since the standard ringtones don't even work; there's a deeper issue.

One last thing to try and then I think it's time to hit up Apple for assistance. 

It's a longshot, but bear with me:

- plug your phone into your computer

- deselect the "sync ringtones" option

- sync the phone

- deauthorize the computer

- reauthorize the computer

- reselect "sync ringtones"

- sync the phone

If that doesn't work....

Here's a link to Apple's community: https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa and their iPhone support site: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

Please let us know how you end up. This is going to bug me until we figure it out!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Scouser10 wrote:
Jamileh, I have set the ringtone to a few standard ones to a contact but it still defaults to Marimba, I have tried restoring the iPhone but it still hasn't work
So when you go into a contact and select a custom ring tone, does it play? It should. If it does not play when you select one, that may mean something is wrong with the ringtone.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.