Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

Tutor

Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

I have several contacts that I have custom ringtones for. But when they call, the ringtone I have set for them doesn't play. The main ringtone of my phone plays.So, how do I get my phone to play the custom ringtone I have assigned to several of my contacts?
Message 1 of 21 (12,363 Views)
Contributor

Re: Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

Having the same issue with IOS 7.1
Message 16 of 21 (5,315 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Lingoes (Administrator)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Make sure that the phone number is only in your contact list once. If it is in more than once, it will only play the default tone.
Make sure that the ringtones play when you preview them. Make sure that they are in the proper format.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 21 (5,301 Views)
Master

Most of the problems I see with ringtones is when you right click the song and Get Info the extension is m4a instead of m4r and not sure on the PC side but on the Mac side the ringtone needs to be converted to AAC then change the extension from m4a to m4r.

Message 18 of 21 (5,259 Views)
Scholar

do not know if it applies to an i phone or not but if the number is not saved in the phone instead of the sim card the custom ring tone will not work
Message 19 of 21 (5,228 Views)
Scholar

oz_1 wrote:

Most of the problems I see with ringtones is when you right click the song and Get Info the extension is m4a instead of m4r and not sure on the PC side but on the Mac side the ringtone needs to be converted to AAC then change the extension from m4a to m4r.

Correct--it is true/required on the PC/Windows side as well...ringtone file needs to be renamed with a m4r file extension (e.g., rename ringtone.m4a to ringtone.m4r) in order for both iTunes and iPhone to recognize it as a (iPhone) ringtone rather than just a regular audio file.

Note--I'm going off of memory here (I don't have iTunes installed here at work--LOL), but even though you can use iTunes to create ringtones, the ringtone files themselves need to be added to the "Ringtones" section (I think that's what it's called--please correct me if I'm wrong) in iTunes in order for you to then be able to add them to your iPhone.

Message 20 of 21 (5,168 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by Lingoes (Administrator)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

jane697 wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

Correct--it is true/required on the PC/Windows side as well...ringtone file needs to be renamed with a m4r file extension (e.g., rename ringtone.m4a to ringtone.m4r) in order for both iTunes and iPhone to recognize it as a (iPhone) ringtone rather than just a regular audio file.

Note--I'm going off of memory here (I don't have iTunes installed here at work--LOL), but even though you can use iTunes to create ringtones, the ringtone files themselves need to be added to the "Ringtones" section (I think that's what it's called--please correct me if I'm wrong) in iTunes in order for you to then be able to add them to your iPhone.

In 11.1.5 if you do the conversion and change the extention when you import ,it will automatically go to Ringtones because of the change from m4a to m4r.

Message 21 of 21 (5,166 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.