For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Scouser10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 2:16 PM

Custom ringtone problems with IPhone 4s

I have several contacts that I have custom ringtones for. But when they call, the ringtone I have set for them doesn't play. The main ringtone of my phone plays.So, how do I get my phone to play the custom ringtone I have assigned to several of my contacts?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

Did you create the ringtones on your own or are they purchased? If you created them ar they .m4r files?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Sandblaster
When I select the ringtone on a contact it plays no problem, if I set the custom ringtone to play as the default it plays when the phone rings.

Wingrider01
I have created the ringtones with iTunes and renamed them from m4a to m4r, I also have purchased them from iTunes but still have the same issue.

Jamileh
I will try that once I get home and if it doesn't work I will contact apple like you said.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Definitely keep us updated!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I had this same problem.  Turns out it was user error in my case.  I had the person's phone number saved twice under two different contacts.  Once I deleted the 2nd occurrance of the phone # and contact, the personalized ringtone worked just fine.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

Just a note to those running a Mac with Garage Band you can create your own ringtones from your existing iTunes library.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@oz_1 wrote:

Just a note to those running a Mac with Garage Band you can create your own ringtones from your existing iTunes library.

for PC users you can create the ringtones using Itunes also. Just takes a couple of extra manual steps

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Having the same issue with IOS 7.1

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

Most of the problems I see with ringtones is when you right click the song and Get Info the extension is m4a instead of m4r and not sure on the PC side but on the Mac side the ringtone needs to be converted to AAC then change the extension from m4a to m4r.

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

do not know if it applies to an i phone or not but if the number is not saved in the phone instead of the sim card the custom ring tone will not work

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

10 years ago

@oz_1 wrote:

Most of the problems I see with ringtones is when you right click the song and Get Info the extension is m4a instead of m4r and not sure on the PC side but on the Mac side the ringtone needs to be converted to AAC then change the extension from m4a to m4r.

Correct--it is true/required on the PC/Windows side as well...ringtone file needs to be renamed with a m4r file extension (e.g., rename ringtone.m4a to ringtone.m4r) in order for both iTunes and iPhone to recognize it as a (iPhone) ringtone rather than just a regular audio file.

Note--I'm going off of memory here (I don't have iTunes installed here at work--LOL), but even though you can use iTunes to create ringtones, the ringtone files themselves need to be added to the "Ringtones" section (I think that's what it's called--please correct me if I'm wrong) in iTunes in order for you to then be able to add them to your iPhone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.