Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Currently with Verizon can I take my 6+ to an AT&T plan

Highlighted
Contributor

Currently with Verizon can I take my 6+ to an AT&T plan

I want to switch to AT&T but still keep my phone and original number. I'm currently a Verizon customer, will I be able to switch over my phone to AT&T?
Message 1 of 11
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎11-24-2015 6:45 AM

Re: Currently with Verizon can I take my 6+ to an AT&T plan

Yes, the phone will work perfectly on ATT

Visit an ATT store to have your number ported and a new SIM card installed.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
Teacher

@MMJ1012 have you had your Verizon iPhone unlocked yet?  That's the only way that the AT&T SIM is going to properly activate.

Hardware wise - the 6 and 6+ are identical no matter what carrier you get them on.  They can do all bands and protocols.

Hope that helps!

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Sage

@ejschenck

Verizon phones are all unlocked as required by the FCC (700 block rules).  It will work with an Any SIM card without anything done to it

There are 2 models of the iPhone and they are not exactly alike.  The ATT version includes the not yet active band 30 for LTE.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
Teacher

@lizdance40 funny because we've had several Verizon models that needed to actually be unlocked.  Perhaps your assumption that all Verizon iPhones are unlocked is wrong?  The locking is handled by Apple's Activation server and in some cases a device truly is locked and won't work.  Customers can be confused at times over their unlock status - for example - an AT&T locked iPhone 6 or 6S will gleefully take a T-Mobile SIM and work... bring a Verizon or Sprint SIM into the mix and things get messy.  The customer assumed they were unlocked but they weren't.  An unlocked phone can also become "relocked" when AppleCare makes a replacement - I've seen this personally and it's quite the surprise when you're overseas and go to put a SIM into your "unlocked" iPhone that was recently replaced at the Apple Store.

If you read the original post, the user has a 6 Plus, not a 6S Plus.  The 6 Plus came as A1522 (GSM/NA, Verizon), A1524 (Global/Sprint) and A1593 (China Mobile).

Now the 6S Plus does come in two flavors in America.  A1634 which is Global and includes Band 30 specifically for AT&T customers (it's also the flavor sold by the Apple Store if you purchase unlocked) and A1687 which is also Global but doesn't have Band 30 (it's the flavor all carriers sell and Apple sells you for their own in-house financing option, unless you specify you're AT&T).  There is also an A1699 for China Mobile.

The FCC also doesn't actually require a phone that uses the 700mhz block to be unlocked.  It does - however - require that you allow any device to use that block whether you sold it or not.  If the "rule" were as you say it is, then T-Mobile and AT&T would both have to sell unlocked devices as well since they use 700mhz spectrum.

I find it a bit misleading to tell a customer that a device will work perfectly when you don't actually know that.  Running their IMEI may show that it's activation locked to Verizon.  Stranger things have happened.  I believe my response was more correct - make sure the device is unlocked.  When a customer is told "it will work perfectly" and then they stand in a store for quite some time trying to get it to work, only to find out that it won't, they tend to tear the store apart and scream at the unsupecting representative.

Message 5 of 11
ACE - Sage

You are correct about the different versions of the iPhone 6 versus the 6S.

That said....

Copied from Verizon's website.  Verizon was required by the FCC to unlock all current and sell all phones unlocked.  I personally bought a 1522 on eBay, used on Verizon and installed my sim (not that my information is based on personal experience)

An older phone, like my Galaxy S3 from Verizon, was inactive when these rules came into being. While it was locked, it was unlocked as soon as it was actived on Verizon. 

The FCC granted Verizon the 700 block, extending network access, but only if they unlocked all cell phones.   It has nothing to do with other networks also having the 700 block.  Verizon is the only carrier required to sell its phones unlocked.

Only on rare occasions does a Verizon phone turn up as locked to US GSM.   If it happens, it can be unlocked.

An ATT phone, locked to ATT will not get service with a T-mobile SIM card until it's unlocked.

image.png

Message 6 of 11
Teacher

@lizdance40 Verizon is NOT required to unlock them as per FCC rules:

"The Upper C block has "open access" rules that require the license holder to allow third-party devices and applications to use the network built using that spectrum. This was quite a controversial issue when the rules were being drafted for this band, but in late 2007 - right before Auction 73 - the whole industry magically embraced open access, and has even started to compete on just how "open" they can be. Of course this didn't happen until the FCC was about to force it on them."

Again, the FCC granted T-Mobile and AT&T 700mhz C-block spectrum as well.  And yet T-Mobile and AT&T still lock their phones (although T-Mobile has a very liberal unlocking policy).  Verizon generally sells unlocked devices just because it's their choice.  Some of that choice may come from the fact that they're a CDMA carrier and any international users would have quite a hard time using their devices overseas.  It's not for you and I to speculate but it definitely has nothing to do with the FCC requiring them.

The rare occasions you speak of actually happen more often than you'd like to think.  Again, it would be prudent to have a user check their status before walking into a store assuming all is well.

And, an AT&T iPhone locked to AT&T WILL get service with a T-Mobile SIM card due to an interesting little glitch... and I'd like to see just how resourceful you can be in figuring out WHY that glitch exists.  I've included three screenshots of my locked 6S Plus from AT&T that had no problem jumping on T-Mobile and then truphone all within 3 minutes.  (Your Move)

IMG_2565.jpg

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Sage

And, an AT&T iPhone locked to AT&T WILL get service with a T-Mobile SIM card due to an interesting little glitch... and I'd like to see just how resourceful you can be in figuring out WHY that glitch exists.  I've included three screenshots of my locked 6S Plus from AT&T that had no problem jumping on T-Mobile and then truphone all within 3 minutes.  (Your Move)

......And how can you prove the phone is locked?  If it works with other networks, it is obviously unlocked.

Did you purchase from ATT or Apple?

Message 8 of 11
Teacher

@lizdance40 

• The phone was purchased from AT&T and is on a Next 30 plan on a Corporate Account.
  • Running the IMEI through tools available to techs would show you it's locked to AT&T.
  • Contacting Apple and requesting to know what Activation Profile is on the device would result in the answer "AT&T".
  • Inserting a Sprint SIM card results in an Activation Error from Apple and stops the phone until a proper SIM is inserted. 

You like to use words like obviously and perfectly when you "obviously" don't know eveyrthing that you think you know so "perfectly".

Honest answers aren't what you want to hear, but you're finding out that you're wrong here...

Now tell us all why the T-Mobile and truphone SIM's work in the "obviously" locked AT&T device...

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Sage

I guess I have to take your word on that....

Message 10 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support