Helpful Links

Curious iPhone 5 question

Teacher

Curious iPhone 5 question

I have heard rumors about an iPhone 5. I am needing to upgrade but I am trying to be patient and wait. Does anyone know when the iPhone 5 might be released and will AT&T get it or will it strictly be with verizon?

And is the issues with the iPhone 4 fixed?

Message 1 of 15
Scholar

Re: Curious iPhone 5 question

of course, it's all speculation until apple releases the specs.

however, if apple does not match the motorola atrix, they will be falling way behind the curve. the motorola atrix is a 4g device and it has a dual core processor. it will be released on at&t in the next few months. it does not make any real business for apple to release an 'updated' flagship phone that would be outdated from the start.

Message 11 of 15
Professor

Doubtful 4G support is coming this rev. Apple doesn't do the feature checkbox game. Next year, when there is plenty of 4G, it makse sense. This year it's just marketing.

Message 12 of 15
Professor

Apple started out with an "outdated" 2G phone at the time 3G phones were coming out, and were wildly successful, even though it was only sold with a high no-contract price.  Apple won't put out a 4G or other phone with the latest tech of the month until they believe it's bullet-proof and meets their specs for things like power consumption.

Message 13 of 15
Employee

don't forget the rumour of no home button on iPhone 5/iPad 2. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Master

browski wrote:

of course, it's all speculation until apple releases the specs.

however, if apple does not match the Motorola atrix, they will be falling way behind the curve. the motorola atrix is a 4g device and it has a dual core processor. it will be released on at&t in the next few months. it does not make any real business for apple to release an 'updated' flagship phone that would be outdated from the start.

Another way to look at this is that even if there is a 4G phone from another manufacturer, how many people will actually switch for a faster phone?  I enjoy the latest technology but at the current speeds and my current needs, I am not having many issues. I would suggest that those who have to have the latest/greatest/fastest are not a significant number of overall users; vocal and many are here on the forums but not a significant number of the total user base.  I would also suggest that as people determine how they work with their smartphones and their computers and developing a routine that works, changing platforms from iOS to Android can be an expensive and time consuming process. 

I know that I carried a Palm branded PDA along with a phone for a number of years due to the investment I had in the software and how I worked with it.  It wasn't until I switched to a 3G that I was ready to work my processes out again.  I also made the switch from PC to Mac around the same time.

From ATT's perspective, if you stay with them but upgrade to a faster phone that is not an iPhone, they still have you and your dollars.  If you leave for another carrier before your contract is up they have your ETF and hopefully the other carrier delivers on coverage and speed.  If you switch to another carrier and buy an iPhone, Apple wins and you really were not looking for the faster data speeds anywaySmiley Wink

There are many ways to skin this cat!

YMMV

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support