The new iPhone 15
rodeogirl07's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Thursday, February 10th, 2011 4:39 PM

Curious iPhone 5 question

I have heard rumors about an iPhone 5. I am needing to upgrade but I am trying to be patient and wait. Does anyone know when the iPhone 5 might be released and will AT&T get it or will it strictly be with verizon?

And is the issues with the iPhone 4 fixed?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@rodeogirl07 wrote:

I have heard rumors about an iPhone 5. I am needing to upgrade but I am trying to be patient and wait. Does anyone know when the iPhone 5 might be released and will AT&T get it or will it strictly be with verizon?

And is the issues with the iPhone 4 fixed?

Every year so far, on about the exact same date in June, Apple releases a new iPhone. Some years, it's a minor change. Some years, its a major change. Its likely the same thing will happen this year. It's likely there will be minor changes, since last year there were major changes. It's likely some old issues will be fixed, and some new issues will be introduced, and some issues will remain unchanged.

No one here really knows for sure, and if they did they couldn't say anything anyway.

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

The Chinese factories that make the iPhone for Apple leak like a sieve and they've began leaking the specs for the new iPhone.  Supposedly it's going to be a completely new redesign that will feature a different antenna (believable because both iPhone 4's have antenna problems) and a dual core processor.  Also, the phone chip will be made by Qualcomm and will be a dual CDMA/GSM chip.  The phone will sport a sim card tray for AT&T users and you will be able to activate the phone on one or the other's network.  In other words Apple is going to make just one version of the phone, not two as they have done so now.  I have seen photos of the casing and it does indeed have a slot for a sim tray.  But who knows whether Apple will definitely only make one version with a dual chip set up.  Qualcomm does acknowledge they have a dual chip.  Oh, it's supposed to be due out in June.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

@Jon_Doh wrote:

The Chinese factories that make the iPhone for Apple leak like a sieve and they've began leaking the specs for the new iPhone.  Supposedly it's going to be a completely new redesign that will feature a different antenna (believable because both iPhone 4's have antenna problems) and a dual core processor.  Also, the phone chip will be made by Qualcomm and will be a dual CDMA/GSM chip.  The phone will sport a sim card tray for AT&T users and you will be able to activate the phone on one or the other's network.  In other words Apple is going to make just one version of the phone, not two as they have done so now.  I have seen photos of the casing and it does indeed have a slot for a sim tray.  But who knows whether Apple will definitely only make one version with a dual chip set up.  Qualcomm does acknowledge they have a dual chip.  Oh, it's supposed to be due out in June.

And it's possible that everything you just stated is as realistic as unicorn's and flying pigs.  Not saying you are making stuff up, but until Apple officially announces the product, everything is speculation.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

The only ones who know for sure is Apple.  Apple does have a track record of releasing a new version each summer.  At this point in the year, unless you need a phone now, wait!  What that iPhone 5 will have is all speculation, wishful thinking, and educated guesses.   And to confuse things further possibly some false info from Apple to keep the competition guessing.

Bottom line: Patience unless you need a phone right now due to some issue with your current phone.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

The dual chip is in the Vz iP4 already... they just use the CDMA side only.

Anyway, whatever it is going to be is likely all fixed in stone by now. I still doubt big redesigns in this iteration, but who knows.

Single device for GSM/CDMA sounds good, but the antenna is tricky to get right for both.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for all the answers...the only reason i was asking is because i was told that the iPhone 4 might be cheaper when the iphone 5 comes out...

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

13 years ago

Chances are the price on the 4 will drop when the next model comes out. That is historically what happens. But no one except Apple knows when that will be.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@rodeogirl07 wrote:

Thank you for all the answers...the only reason i was asking is because i was told that the iPhone 4 might be cheaper when the iphone 5 comes out...

That would be in June. Or July. If you can wait until then, by all means you'll either save some money on an iP4 or get the latest and greatest iP5

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

13 years ago

Who knows if it will be June or July?  Now with a Verizon iPhone, will there be separate GSM and CDMA release dates?  If the next phone supports both bands, who's to say it will be released on the old AT&T schedule?  Maybe they will start a new schedule with a completely different release date for future iPhones.

Scholar

• 

152 Messages

13 years ago

of course, it's all speculation until apple releases the specs.

however, if apple does not match the motorola atrix, they will be falling way behind the curve. the motorola atrix is a 4g device and it has a dual core processor. it will be released on at&t in the next few months. it does not make any real business for apple to release an 'updated' flagship phone that would be outdated from the start.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.