Curious iPhone 5 question

Teacher

Curious iPhone 5 question

[ Edited ]

I have heard rumors about an iPhone 5. I am needing to upgrade but I am trying to be patient and wait. Does anyone know when the iPhone 5 might be released and will AT&T get it or will it strictly be with verizon?

And is the issues with the iPhone 4 fixed?

Message 1 of 15 (17,571 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Curious iPhone 5 question

rodeogirl07 wrote:

I have heard rumors about an iPhone 5. I am needing to upgrade but I am trying to be patient and wait. Does anyone know when the iPhone 5 might be released and will AT&T get it or will it strictly be with verizon?

And is the issues with the iPhone 4 fixed?

Every year so far, on about the exact same date in June, Apple releases a new iPhone. Some years, it's a minor change. Some years, its a major change. Its likely the same thing will happen this year. It's likely there will be minor changes, since last year there were major changes. It's likely some old issues will be fixed, and some new issues will be introduced, and some issues will remain unchanged.

No one here really knows for sure, and if they did they couldn't say anything anyway.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (17,509 Views)
Mentor

The Chinese factories that make the iPhone for Apple leak like a sieve and they've began leaking the specs for the new iPhone.  Supposedly it's going to be a completely new redesign that will feature a different antenna (believable because both iPhone 4's have antenna problems) and a dual core processor.  Also, the phone chip will be made by Qualcomm and will be a dual CDMA/GSM chip.  The phone will sport a sim card tray for AT&T users and you will be able to activate the phone on one or the other's network.  In other words Apple is going to make just one version of the phone, not two as they have done so now.  I have seen photos of the casing and it does indeed have a slot for a sim tray.  But who knows whether Apple will definitely only make one version with a dual chip set up.  Qualcomm does acknowledge they have a dual chip.  Oh, it's supposed to be due out in June.

Message 3 of 15 (17,467 Views)
Professor

Jon_Doh wrote:

The Chinese factories that make the iPhone for Apple leak like a sieve and they've began leaking the specs for the new iPhone.  Supposedly it's going to be a completely new redesign that will feature a different antenna (believable because both iPhone 4's have antenna problems) and a dual core processor.  Also, the phone chip will be made by Qualcomm and will be a dual CDMA/GSM chip.  The phone will sport a sim card tray for AT&T users and you will be able to activate the phone on one or the other's network.  In other words Apple is going to make just one version of the phone, not two as they have done so now.  I have seen photos of the casing and it does indeed have a slot for a sim tray.  But who knows whether Apple will definitely only make one version with a dual chip set up.  Qualcomm does acknowledge they have a dual chip.  Oh, it's supposed to be due out in June.

And it's possible that everything you just stated is as realistic as unicorn's and flying pigs.  Not saying you are making stuff up, but until Apple officially announces the product, everything is speculation.

Message 4 of 15 (17,438 Views)
Highlighted
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author rodeogirl07
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

[ Edited ]

The only ones who know for sure is Apple.  Apple does have a track record of releasing a new version each summer.  At this point in the year, unless you need a phone now, wait!  What that iPhone 5 will have is all speculation, wishful thinking, and educated guesses.   And to confuse things further possibly some false info from Apple to keep the competition guessing.

Bottom line: Patience unless you need a phone right now due to some issue with your current phone.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 15 (17,409 Views)
ACE - Professor

The dual chip is in the Vz iP4 already... they just use the CDMA side only.

Anyway, whatever it is going to be is likely all fixed in stone by now. I still doubt big redesigns in this iteration, but who knows.

Single device for GSM/CDMA sounds good, but the antenna is tricky to get right for both.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 15 (17,368 Views)
Teacher

Thank you for all the answers...the only reason i was asking is because i was told that the iPhone 4 might be cheaper when the iphone 5 comes out...

Message 7 of 15 (17,331 Views)
Professor

Chances are the price on the 4 will drop when the next model comes out. That is historically what happens. But no one except Apple knows when that will be.
Message 8 of 15 (17,297 Views)
ACE - Professor

rodeogirl07 wrote:

Thank you for all the answers...the only reason i was asking is because i was told that the iPhone 4 might be cheaper when the iphone 5 comes out...

That would be in June. Or July. If you can wait until then, by all means you'll either save some money on an iP4 or get the latest and greatest iP5

Message 9 of 15 (17,261 Views)
Professor

Who knows if it will be June or July?  Now with a Verizon iPhone, will there be separate GSM and CDMA release dates?  If the next phone supports both bands, who's to say it will be released on the old AT&T schedule?  Maybe they will start a new schedule with a completely different release date for future iPhones.

Message 10 of 15 (17,233 Views)
Scholar

of course, it's all speculation until apple releases the specs.

however, if apple does not match the motorola atrix, they will be falling way behind the curve. the motorola atrix is a 4g device and it has a dual core processor. it will be released on at&t in the next few months. it does not make any real business for apple to release an 'updated' flagship phone that would be outdated from the start.

Message 11 of 15 (3,742 Views)
ACE - Professor

Doubtful 4G support is coming this rev. Apple doesn't do the feature checkbox game. Next year, when there is plenty of 4G, it makse sense. This year it's just marketing.

Message 12 of 15 (3,731 Views)
Professor

Apple started out with an "outdated" 2G phone at the time 3G phones were coming out, and were wildly successful, even though it was only sold with a high no-contract price.  Apple won't put out a 4G or other phone with the latest tech of the month until they believe it's bullet-proof and meets their specs for things like power consumption.

Message 13 of 15 (3,725 Views)
Employee

don't forget the rumour of no home button on iPhone 5/iPad 2. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 15 (3,682 Views)
Master

browski wrote:

of course, it's all speculation until apple releases the specs.

however, if apple does not match the Motorola atrix, they will be falling way behind the curve. the motorola atrix is a 4g device and it has a dual core processor. it will be released on at&t in the next few months. it does not make any real business for apple to release an 'updated' flagship phone that would be outdated from the start.

Another way to look at this is that even if there is a 4G phone from another manufacturer, how many people will actually switch for a faster phone?  I enjoy the latest technology but at the current speeds and my current needs, I am not having many issues. I would suggest that those who have to have the latest/greatest/fastest are not a significant number of overall users; vocal and many are here on the forums but not a significant number of the total user base.  I would also suggest that as people determine how they work with their smartphones and their computers and developing a routine that works, changing platforms from iOS to Android can be an expensive and time consuming process. 

I know that I carried a Palm branded PDA along with a phone for a number of years due to the investment I had in the software and how I worked with it.  It wasn't until I switched to a 3G that I was ready to work my processes out again.  I also made the switch from PC to Mac around the same time.

From ATT's perspective, if you stay with them but upgrade to a faster phone that is not an iPhone, they still have you and your dollars.  If you leave for another carrier before your contract is up they have your ETF and hopefully the other carrier delivers on coverage and speed.  If you switch to another carrier and buy an iPhone, Apple wins and you really were not looking for the faster data speeds anywaySmiley Wink

There are many ways to skin this cat!

YMMV

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 15 of 15 (3,657 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.