The new iPhone 15
Brodskjo's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, December 25th, 2016 4:30 PM

Connecting to AT&T network in ixtapa mexico

On arrival my iPhone 6 connected to at&t mx but after one day it now only connects to Movistar. I've turned it off and on, I can't seem to get off Movistar. My iPad is connected to AT&T mx. Any ideas?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

The article says to go to settings and select a carrier, which is not an option. I called the number but it was a 10 min wait and didn't want to do that on my vacation, thanks for your suggestions but no luck yet. I'm very surprised I could not find a fix on the internet.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Brodskjo wrote:
I called the number but it was a 10 min wait and didn't want to do that on my vacation, thanks for your suggestions but no luck yet. I'm very surprised I could not find a fix on the internet.

You did find a fix on the internet! I told you where to call and what to ask for 🙂

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I got a bunch of try this, try that and wasn't willing to sit on hold for 10 minutes to see if it was another dead end.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

This solution worked for me. I travel to Mexico City every week and back.. have been doing it since Oct. All was fine till last week - i.e. the iPhone 7 would autmatically connect to AT&T MX and I got LTE speeds. Last week suddenly the phone would not connect to any network a couple of hours. After a couple of power cycles, the phone finally did connect to Movistar LTE. I travelled to Cancun and there too, the phone would always connect to Movistar. An let me tell you a bit about Movistar. When it says Movistar LTE, the speed you get is of 2G. I have come to rely on the iPhone for Uber. As users of Uber here would know, unless you can exactly specify on the map where you wish to be picked, it could get pretty difficult for you to get Uber (unless you have a starting address, which is not always the case). So now, due to the lousy speed of Movistar LTE, I was unable to use Uber on several occasions and the thought of getting in to taxi was unnerving as quite a few locals had warned me against it in Mexico City. So finally, I did a google search and found this forum. I called 1-916-*** and had the operator enable me to have the 'Carrier Select' option. As advised, I went through a power cycle and the 'Carrier Select' option did appear under Setting on my iPhone. I switched off the Automatic selection, waited for the phone to scann available networks and chose AT&T MX. That worked. the internet speed is now back to 'normal' (LTE as adverstised).

Thanks everyone here!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@thesteeler wrote:

This solution worked for me.

I did a google search and found this forum. I called 1-916-843-4685 and had the operator enable me to have the 'Carrier Select' option. As advised, I went through a power cycle and the 'Carrier Select' option did appear under Setting on my iPhone. I switched off the Automatic selection, waited for the phone to scann available networks and chose AT&T MX. That worked. the internet speed is now back to 'normal' (LTE as adverstised).

Thank you for confirming that this process will enable the carrier select option on your iPhone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@thesteeler wrote:

This solution worked for me.

I did a google search and found this forum. I called 1-916-843-4685 and had the operator enable me to have the 'Carrier Select' option. As advised, I went through a power cycle and the 'Carrier Select' option did appear under Setting on my iPhone. I switched off the Automatic selection, waited for the phone to scann available networks and chose AT&T MX. That worked. the internet speed is now back to 'normal' (LTE as adverstised).

Thank you for confirming that this process will enable the carrier select option on your iPhone.

For whatever reason, I had that option enabled but never had to request it. I guess that's why I figured it was a phone function and not something that had to be enabled on the account. I stand corrected.

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

I'm on a prepaid plan and called the att customer service. they connected me to 3 people and none of them could activate it. is there any specific magic word that has to be mentioned?

Also the abovementioned link doesn't work anymore. Is there a new one?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm on a prepaid plan and called the att customer service. they connected me to 3 people and none of them could activate it. is there any specific magic word that has to be mentioned?

Manual Network Selection (or maybe Manual Carrier Selection?).

I find it unlikely that they'd enable this for prepaid (I don't know that they won't, but it seems unlikely).  

The only way is to try again; sometimes with features we "know" they will enable it can take more than 3 calls to get it turned on.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Fix on the internet means not having to call some one so Gary Lapointe calling himself an expert is clearly fake news. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Kentslinger wrote:

Fix on the internet means not having to call some one so Gary Lapointe calling himself an expert is clearly fake news. 

If the answer is to make a call, that's the answer. I can't help if you don't like the answer. There isn't a button you can click to solve it.  And the response is that it worked.

That's from 2016 and I'm not sure why you're whining about it, the answer has been confirmed and no one has made a better suggestion since. 

And just like you, Kents Linger, I was once a "Contributor" too (and you clearly aren't contributing anything) and don't have control over what appears there by my name, just like you don't.

Have you tried to do that step? I'm not sure what exactly your problem is?  In the other thread, you just contributed a "me too"....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.