The new iPhone 15
darinbrannon's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 6:04 PM

Cellular data being used when phone is in wifi

My daugther's phone is using a lot of data and in looking at the usage, it is retrieving information from some app every 3 hours. I think it is probably Snapchat, but most of the times it is using cellular data, I know the phone is in wifi. We've looked at all the settings I know of to make sure it doesn't do this, but it's still doing it. Any ideas?

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

Double check under Settings -> Cellular -> (Scroll all the way down) Wifi Assist... I would turn it off. If your wifi connection is poor or lacking it will automatically use cellular data. 

Also, under this same area: Settings -> Cellular you can see exactly what apps are using the most cellular data and turn any on/off.

Not a solution to your question I know, but things to double check nonetheless. Hope it helps!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 years ago

This has been referenced many times.  Data is not reported in real time to the online system.  If you read the special notes at the bottom of your data usage details on your bill, you will see this there, and it is also avaialable in the myATT app.  It is much like a bank checking account.  Most banks will accumulate incoming checks against your checking account, and in a batch (usually in the middle of the night) they will then subtract the money from your account, and if you have spent too much, they will charge you the overdraft fees, and may return the checks as unpaid.  Cellular data accumulates this information fo r 3 hours, then applies it to your account, and if you have gone over your limit (and are not on a Mobile Share Advantage or unlimited) data plan they will charge you an overage fee, and give you 1GB od additional data (similar to banking "overdraft protection").  If you have the Mobile Share Advantage or unlimited plans, then your data speeds may be slowed down if you exceed the threshholds on your data usage.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the help. I have done those things. Just trying to figure out why it's pulling from cellular data when I know the phone is in wifi with a strong signal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.