Carrier Update to 14.2 - Any details on it?

ACE - Professor

Carrier Update to 14.2 - Any details on it?

Hi folks!

So as the title says, my iPhone 5 automatically updated the carrier settings to AT&T 14.2 by I'm unable to find anything different. Any idea what this carrier update was about? Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 38 (14,395 Views)
Scholar

Re: Carrier Update to 14.2 - Any details on it?

I would like to know myself, what the update is for. 

Message 2 of 38 (14,076 Views)

Nuked tethering if plan didn't have it, for one.
Message 3 of 38 (14,061 Views)
Expert

jparniawski wrote:
Nuked tethering if plan didn't have it, for one.

explain in more detail - do you mean

1. removed the setting to tether if you did not have a data plan capable?

3. will not allow the device to act as a hotspot / tethering location?

Message 4 of 38 (14,023 Views)
ACE - Professor

I think they meant removed the setting if your phone didn't have the appropriate plan to do so. But then again, the option shouldn't be there if you have the 3GB plan. So still a mystery... Searches coming up with nothing lol
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 38 (13,956 Views)
Expert

Evandela wrote:
I think they meant removed the setting if your phone didn't have the appropriate plan to do so. But then again, the option shouldn't be there if you have the 3GB plan. So still a mystery... Searches coming up with nothing lol

got the update, don;t have a tethering plan for the phone and still see the option. I still have the old unlimited plan

Message 6 of 38 (13,870 Views)
Contributor

Hey AT&T stop stripping down my iPhone you do not have the right to alter software on my phone or other customers phones that we paid for. YOU ARE A SERViCE provider not APPLE
Message 7 of 38 (13,865 Views)
Contributor

Gonna repot this to the FCC
Message 8 of 38 (13,866 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Andrewover09 wrote:
Hey AT&T stop stripping down my iPhone you do not have the right to alter software on my phone or other customers phones that we paid for. YOU ARE A SERViCE provider not APPLE

got the update, still have the ability and setting in the control panel. and I do not have a tethered plan. By the way, they do have the right to prevent you from tethering if you do not have a plan that supports it or change your data plan to one that allows it - read your agreement

Message 9 of 38 (13,758 Views)
Master

I can't find any info and so far nothing has changed on my iPhone 5 but the update number.

Message 10 of 38 (13,746 Views)
ACE - Professor

Yeah can't can't find anything either on this update.. Wonder what in the world changed lol
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 38 (13,613 Views)
Contributor

I just checked and noticed something not so good.

On June 24 I ran a speedtest on my iphone 5 (after 14.1 update) and noticed that my download speed was anywhere from 23.81 and 26.38 mpbs. Today, after several tests my download speed has slowed to between 5.06 and 8.98 mbps. What's up with that?

Message 12 of 38 (13,567 Views)
Highlighted
Master

I just checked mine and it did take a speed hit but not at my home still as low as its always been around 9.80 but at my wifes work it limited to 43.73 instead of 50 which is still fast but killed the upload to 5.10 from 15.00 so it looks like it can't run wide open any more.

Message 13 of 38 (13,423 Views)
ACE - Professor

Although anything is possible.. I just did some snooping around tmobile's forums and it seems they too have received a carrier update to 14.2 but no details there either..
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 38 (13,388 Views)
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by ATTJulieCS (Community Support)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for your posts about the Carrier Update for your iPhones. Check out Wireless Emergency Alerts Coming to iPhone 5, 4S which will explain the purpose of the update. It is possible that some customers will receive this udpate twice. If this happens to you, don't be alarmed, AT&T and Apple simply want to ensure an optimal device experience on our network. 

Thanks again! 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 38 (13,376 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.