The new iPhone 15
malizivko's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, September 24th, 2012 8:03 PM

Cant activate iPhone 5?

Does anyone knows what is going on?

I am current AT&T customer, I did purchase AT&T iPhone 5 from craiglist, phone is brand new and it was not even open. Now I did try to activate phone and its asking me for last 4 ssn and zipcode from the person it was purchased from? Now i dont know his information, and I did call the store and I was told they cant help me out unless that person first activates phone.

Is this true? I cant get new SIM card for iPhone 5 and activate it under my name? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

The seller should have activated before selling it. The phone needs to be activated on the account it was purchased on.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

The iPhone5 has to be activated on the line that was used to purchase it. This is a security feature, to help prevent theft of unactivated phones.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I suggest you get a hold of the individual you purchased it from as soon as possible. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I would if I could, that person is not asnwering phone, so is this true statement or not? Can you activate phone if you did not pruchase it through ATT?

Guru

• 

475 Messages

12 years ago

The phone has to be actvated on the line from which it was upgraded from first. If you can't find the one you purchased from, you have a $800 door stop. This was put in place as a security measure to prevent fraud.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

As Mikey, Max & stclair said, he would have had to activate it. I am sorry but we cannot help. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

Not only does the phone need to be activated on the line it was ordered under, if it is not activated in a certain amount of time (30 days, I think), the original buyer may get charged full price for the phone. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Hi 

I have some problem i bouht from Craiglist , in LA, this stupid guy forgot to acctivate it, he only acctivate online, now i couldnt contact with him to to know last for digits of SOcial i know only zip code, i call apple to resolve this problem , Apple said me that only Att&t can fix this, i paid 850$ for this Iphone 5 and now i couldnt use it im coming crazy, then i call Att&t some worker telling me that it will be acctivate with Att&t prepaid card another one telling me that i must take contract , but that stupid i already bouht it from craiglist, another one telling i must trasfer that number with my name , i want to know how can i do that, im comeoning crazy, i dont understand Att&t is very big company and it couldnt fix such tupid problem?

i talk on cell phone like 5 hours and nobody can help me with that issue ?

no please tell me what i have to do ? to trow the cell phone to the garbage or what?

when im calling this guy he dont telling this last digits of Social Security number, i need to go to find i dont know how and batter this guy to know inforamtion about last 4 digits of his Social SL?

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

11 years ago

@edgarjanoyan wrote:

Hi 

I have some problem i bouht from Craiglist , in LA, this stupid guy forgot to acctivate it, he only acctivate online, now i couldnt contact with him to to know last for digits of SOcial i know only zip code, i call apple to resolve this problem , Apple said me that only Att&t can fix this, i paid 850$ for this Iphone 5 and now i couldnt use it im coming crazy, then i call Att&t some worker telling me that it will be acctivate with Att&t prepaid card another one telling me that i must take contract , but that stupid i already bouht it from craiglist, another one telling i must trasfer that number with my name , i want to know how can i do that, im comeoning crazy, i dont understand Att&t is very big company and it couldnt fix such tupid problem?

i talk on cell phone like 5 hours and nobody can help me with that issue ?

no please tell me what i have to do ? to trow the cell phone to the garbage or what?

when im calling this guy he dont telling this last digits of Social Security number, i need to go to find i dont know how and batter this guy to know inforamtion about last 4 digits of his Social SL?

Unfortunately, as has been stated in this thread, the phone has to be activated on the account it was purchased under.  If the person didn't activate it before he sold it to you, you need his account info.  If the person who sold it to you won't give you the information (to be honest, I wouldn't give anyone the last four of my SSN either) and won't take the phone back, you are stuck.  Apple can't override this restriction and it doesn't matter how much you paid for the phone. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

AM i screwed for WiFi connections with this iPhone 5sb? GVB

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.