Can you still use an iPhone 3G/3GS on AT&T?

Contributor

Can you still use an iPhone 3G/3GS on AT&T?

So basically, my mum lost her old iPhone 3G, and to avoid buying a new plan, my dad is looking on eBay to buy an old iPhone 3G, he just wants to keep our old plan and get a new SIM card for the iPhone 3G. I know that iPhone 3G's have been discontinued for about 2 years, can he buy this iPhone on eBay and take it to the AT&T store to get a new SIM card for it?
Message 1 of 4 (16,305 Views)
Highlighted
Master
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Can you still use an iPhone 3G/3GS on AT&T?

xoxoOliviaBee wrote:
So basically, my mum lost her old iPhone 3G, and to avoid buying a new plan, my dad is looking on eBay to buy an old iPhone 3G, he just wants to keep our old plan and get a new SIM card for the iPhone 3G. I know that iPhone 3G's have been discontinued for about 2 years, can he buy this iPhone on eBay and take it to the AT&T store to get a new SIM card for it?

Not a problem it will work just fine.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 4 (16,258 Views)
Scholar

xoxoOliviaBee wrote:

As was mentioned by another poster in this thread, the iPhone 3G will (still) work on AT&T's network; however, if you had a choice between picking the 3G and the 3GS--definitely go with the 3GS, as anecdotal evidence has shown that, as a whole, the iPhone 3G's performance on iOS 4.2.1 is not all that great, compared to when it was running on say, iOS 3.1.1--especially when it comes to running apps.  Then again, your mom had been using an iPhone 3G up until she lost it, so such a consideration may not be a factor...but it's definitely worth considering a 3GS, given your mom's current situation.

Message 3 of 4 (16,192 Views)
Former Community Manager

As youngjm & jane noted; you can absolutely use them on AT&T's network. 

Tip for your Dad - make sure the phone he's buys is either an AT&T phone or is unlocked. It'll save a lot of hassle later. Smiley Happy

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4 (16,162 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.