Can't use Mobile Hotspot or Teethering with unlimited plan.

Tutor

Can't use Mobile Hotspot or Teethering with unlimited plan.

I called AT&T today and tried to set up Internet for my laptop through my phone. My friend has it and loves it!
I really only need it to send word documents and files and attachments for work. Something you can't really do from your iPhone.
Since my unlimited data is Grandfathered in I was told I couldn't use any of their Internet options including a USB wi-fi device without downgrading my data plan and paying more.
Being a loyal AT&T customer for over 8 years this is very disappointing they are trying to trick you out of your current plan to make more money and have no solution to this.

Advice?
Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 28 (12,483 Views)
Expert

Re: Can't use Mobile Hotspot or Teethering with unlimited plan.

Anp1215 wrote:
After trying to set up a separate plan with AT&T to use them as an internet provider, as to not change my current data plan, I found that they don't even provide service to my area. Not as a Hotspot or any other way. So without the tethering option I can't use their services for my laptop in any capacity.
Timsierramist- I think you are right on the mark!
I think your point that if they offered it with the unlimited data just with a cap for tethered devices that would be an excellent solution! Like I said, I would be willing to pay extra monthly even and I'm not downloading movies off of it or anything. I just need it for work purposes.

the unlimited plan is discontinued, pretty much 100 percent chance they will never make a change to it again, the discontinued unlimited plan is already capped for excess usage, 3GB for 3G and 5GB for LTE, then the speed is dropped to edge level. Your best option is to get a cellular modem and set that up with a data plan especially if you are willing to pay extra for it as you state.

Message 16 of 28 (10,444 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

You don't have to give up unlimited to get hotspot service. It would just need to be in addition to. And on a seperate device.

Get a seperate hotspot device. 5gb hotpsot service. If you don't want to be tied to a contract, pay the non contract pricing. It'd be worth it, to be able to use it intermittently.

I regularly have to answer this question for unlimited customers, and it boils down to either setting up the phone on a hotspot or another device.

The unlimited is not meant for advanced phones usage, since 2010, much less the for what computers can do.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 28 (10,405 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course it don't work with unlimited!! We could use it all day long.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 18 of 28 (7,871 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you give me a new upgraded phone with tethering capabilities I should be able to use it. My thing is u can make all the changes to have me upgrade and stay in contract but you can't let me use as hot spot

Message 19 of 28 (7,870 Views)
ACE - Master

Jay5ice wrote:

If you give me a new upgraded phone with tethering capabilities I should be able to use it. My thing is u can make all the changes to have me upgrade and stay in contract but you can't let me use as hot spot

If you want to use the tethering feature if your new phone, you can.  You just need to move to a different data plan.  The old (and discontinued) "unlimited" data plan does not support tethering.  If you want to use tethering, yu just need to switch to a data plan that supports it.  AT&T can't help it if you refuse to move to a data plan that has been updated to support that new feature of your new phone.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 28 (7,796 Views)
Tutor

That's nonsense the can say anything they want that crap about not supporting tethering I don't believe that how can an unlimited data not be supported if you know anything about technology you know its a choice that they are making to stop it.
Message 21 of 28 (4,774 Views)
Professor

Yes, they are making a choice to not allow tethering on a grandfathered unlimited plan. That has always been true. People have a choice to accept their rules or swap carriers.
Message 22 of 28 (4,738 Views)
Contributor

Yea I just learned the same thing today. Major bull. A friend's right beside me has unlimited with T-Mobile and their hotspot came right on. Why be so greedy and cheat ur customers?

Message 23 of 28 (1,537 Views)
Employee

T-Mobile allows either 7GB or 14GB of hotspot on unlimited, it's not completely unlimited in itself. It's simple really, if you need hotspot you'll have to be on a tiered Mobile Share Value plan. This will probably never change and I wouldn't expect it to either.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 28 (1,530 Views)
Contributor

Hi I am a user of samsung galaxy note 2 at&t. And I couldn't switch on my mobile hotspot. Actually I'm using a limited data plan of about 1.5gb. Pls help me out
Message 25 of 28 (1,155 Views)
ACE - Master

@omohbee What is a 1.5 GB data plan?

[The (very) fine print:
When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".
This helps other people to find an answer more quickly. This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support). Please keep in mind that just because my answer doesn't solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...]
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 26 of 28 (1,129 Views)
Contributor

I just got unlimited data plan like a week ago I've been with AT&T for years I've had unlimited before but is there any way you can get it to work and still have unlimited data plan it really don't make since to me we are paying good money for the plan we have right now we even had to get a tv plan so we would get unlimited data so how much more do we have to do in order to be able to turn on a hotspot or anything like that??? Or what
Message 27 of 28 (643 Views)
ACE - Expert

No.

Att has chosen not to make the errors other carriers made which led to abuse, hacking and lack of ability to manage their network.  They have no intention of allowing tethering on unlimited plans.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 28 of 28 (625 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.