The new iPhone 15
Alcibiades's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, January 6th, 2014 8:40 AM

Can't send SMS text messages from my iPhone 5S to SOME non-AT&T mobile numbers

HELP!   (Some of) my friends are starting to hate me for not texting them...

Since I got my iPhone 5S in October (2013) I have been unable to text SOME of my friends who have Sprint, Verizon, etc. carriers.  I send text message after text message, get my green bubbles, even get a date and time sent, but my friends never receive my messages. These friends can text me normally, but I can't even text a reply back when I receive their messages.  However, other non-AT&T account friends receive my texts normally. 

I was on the phone with AT&T support for 2 hours yesterday, under their guidance tried several different "fixes," but nothing worked. Even though 4G network settings and connections all good, etc. Still unable to text to those same friends' numbers   --  and one more thing, when the tech told me to text to 151 (test number?) I did not get a reply. The tech ran out of "fixes," and I was just given a case number.  See ya later, Charley.

I don't know what else to try.

Could this be something on the other end  -- i.e., some setting on my friends' phones or accounts??  I didn't think so because my non-receiving text friends are on 2 if not 3 different non-AT&T networks, but I don't know what else to think of...

(My imessaging to Apple devices works fine.)

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, alcibiades!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble sending text messages to certain people. It sounds like you've already tried some basic troubleshooting. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can help.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. If you also know the case number assigned to you, that would be helpful. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the same problem with my 5S.  Very frustrating.   

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

Out of curiosity, was your cell phone number (or your frineds you can't text) ported from another carrier?  If so, it ispossible that the number port missed an update somewhere so the the exchange of the SMS messages are going to the wrong carrier...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

So I'm having the same (I think problem). Trying to figure out all the permutations here cause AT&T keeps blaming other carriers. 

I can send iMessages, but thats it. I cannot send a text message / SMS to anyone who does not have an iPhone. It says they are sent, but they are never received by the other party. 

I have tested:

AT&T iPhone (mine) > Verizon Blackberry (my message is never received, nor do I receive theirs)

AT&T iPhone (mine) > Verizon Android (my message is never received, nor do I receive theirs)

Working on finding a counter party without an iPhone on AT&T, because if I have the same issue then this can't be blamed on the other carrier.  

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

What are your messages settings in Settings?
iMessage off or on?
Send as SMS off or on?
MMS messaging off or on?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

10 years ago

This is an Apple problem.  And easily resolved in the setting on your phone.

I included a link to directions to send iMessage as text.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/16/how-to-send-imessage-as-text-or-how-to-force-imessage-as-text/

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

10 years ago

This is a phone specific problem.   Not an AT&T problem.   It would be better addressed in Apple forums.

how to set up iMessage on iPhone:

You need a valid Apple ID and turn on messages AND SMS in settings on the iPhone

register your phone number with iMessage (this should happen automatically when you set up message on your iPhone)

Full apple info on setup and troubleshooting:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/phone/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm having the same problem with my 5s after porting my number from T-Mobile. It's not an apple issue, imessage works fine, plus Apple swapped out my device for a new one at the Genius Bar. I feel like I've tried every suggested solution online.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

Have you tried calling *611?  Since you ported your number from T-Mobile it might be an account setting on your account at AT&T, or possibly something with the number port.  I would suggest calling *611 and working with them to see if they can resolve this for you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I also have this problem. I have a 4s and it seems I can text only with a couple random noniphone users. Most I cannot. Looks like the text goes through (in green) but never arrives. So frustrating. Please help!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.