The new iPhone 15
lfc_general's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, August 29th, 2012 3:39 AM

Can my US iphone 4s pick up free wi-fi during my vacation in UK without charge?

I am going to UK in Oct. for 2 weeks of vacation; am wondering if my iphone 4s can pick up free wi-fi there without any charge (turning off cellular data)?

Thanks in advance for your help!!  Lin

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@21stNow wrote:

Wouldn't turning off cellular data be better with regards to battery life?  If you just turn off data roaming, the cellular data radio is still on and constantly searching for signal and drains the battery quickly.  If you turn cellular data off, the cellular radio is off and the battery drain concerns wouldn't exist.  Since there will be no AT&T network in the UK, why run down the battery looking for it?

I don't know if there is a separate cellular data radio but whether there is or not, turning cellular data off may indeed prolong battery like. However, I never had a problem with battery life just turning off data roaming. Also and though I'm not positive, I think the main thing that you gain by leaving celllar data on but data roaming off is you will still be able to send and receive MMS messages (which require a data connection).

Put the iPhone in Airplaine mode then turn on wifi.  Cellular data is off and you will see any available wifi spots when you need one.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

Anywhere that free wifi is offered, yes. Also, fyi, instead of turning off cellular data, you could just turn off data roaming. 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Wouldn't turning off cellular data be better with regards to battery life?  If you just turn off data roaming, the cellular data radio is still on and constantly searching for signal and drains the battery quickly.  If you turn cellular data off, the cellular radio is off and the battery drain concerns wouldn't exist.  Since there will be no AT&T network in the UK, why run down the battery looking for it?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

I don't know if there is a separate cellular data radio but whether there is or not, turning cellular data off may indeed prolong battery like. However, I never had a problem with battery life just turning off data roaming. Also and though I'm not positive, I think the main thing that you gain by leaving celllar data on but data roaming off is you will still be able to send and receive MMS messages (which require a data connection).

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@21stNow wrote:

If you are in the states, with cellular data on but data roaming off, you can have MMS. But if the only data connection is through roaming in the UK, then turning off data roaming would disable data and hence MMS. I could be wrong.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Many thanks to Senior Ninija, Senior Warrior and Czar with your replies.  Since I don't use MMS much (pay as go) so I will just turn off the cellular data to avoid any charge and to prolong the battery life while I am in UK. Thanks again for all the help.  Lin

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@lfc_general wrote:

Many thanks to Senior Ninija, Senior Warrior and Czar with your replies.  Since I don't use MMS much (pay as go) so I will just turn off the cellular data to avoid any charge and to prolong the battery life while I am in UK. Thanks again for all the help.  Lin

If you were on pay as you go type of service, your phone would *not* roam in the UK. It simply would have no service there, except possibly emergency calls.

Do you really mean pay per use - not pay as go? That would make a big difference.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

Anywhere that free wifi is offered, yes. Also, fyi, instead of turning off cellular data, you could just turn off data roaming. 

yes you can connect to any free WiFi!

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

12 years ago

@youngjm wrote:
Put the iPhone in Airplaine mode then turn on wifi.  Cellular data is off and you will see any available wifi spots when you need one.

That is the best method.  I have done this several times when outside the US and it works flawlessly.

Scholar

• 

390 Messages

12 years ago

if your coming over to the UK next month why don't you see if ATT will unlock ur iPhone for you depending which tariff you took it out on i think if its on a 2 year deal u have to futhfil ur commitment first!

appart from that though Wifi will work if its free just ask where you go if its free cos some services on the Trains will charge you something like £5 a hour

have fun overhere anyway 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.