The new iPhone 15
Mysticales's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Friday, February 15th, 2013 5:54 PM

Can an Iphone 5 be used on the 10$ a month tablet shared plan?

Hello, I just recently got my Iphone 5 with the mobile shared plan. Just now switched back to my Galaxy S3. Also just added 1 tablet line addition to use on my Dell Streak 7 (and can swap to my PS Vita). I was however wondering if anyone has used the sim card on the iphone? (Since I know it could work on ipad) I understand I wouldnt have phone calls. I wouldnt need to make calls, but I would love to least have data with it. So just checking if anyone has tried this and if it works. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Mysticales wrote:

Hello, I just recently got my Iphone 5 with the mobile shared plan. Just now switched back to my Galaxy S3. Also just added 1 tablet line addition to use on my Dell Streak 7 (and can swap to my PS Vita). I was however wondering if anyone has used the sim card on the iphone? (Since I know it could work on ipad) I understand I wouldnt have phone calls. I wouldnt need to make calls, but I would love to least have data with it. So just checking if anyone has tried this and if it works. Thanks.

No, it is a smartphone and nothing else

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Yea but when you see tablets with voip abilities. It doesnt seem to be diff. I mean what happens if you took one of those sims and put it into a smartphone. What would the system do? I mean we know Text and Data would work, but the rep I talked to just said Calls wouldnt if someone tried to call you. So thats why I am asking, case others tried it already.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Mysticales wrote:

Yea but when you see tablets with voip abilities. It doesnt seem to be diff. I mean what happens if you took one of those sims and put it into a smartphone. What would the system do? I mean we know Text and Data would work, but the rep I talked to just said Calls wouldnt if someone tried to call you. So thats why I am asking, case others tried it already.

VOIP = Voice Over Internet Protocol aka the data plan not a cellular voice transceiver, skype and google voice would probably work

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

According to the rep I spoke with today on it, Seems one "could" use this for a week or 2, then swap the sim back into the tablet and all will work. However if you leave it in the iphone, ATT's systems will catch it and notify you and require you to change that to a smartphone plan. So it seems to be a "yes" it can work for a short term, but not for a long term. She claims quite a few people do this. Like people who have ipads and iphones, just swapping between em. Kinda curious tho if anyone here has done this tho and what their results were.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Mysticales wrote:

According to the rep I spoke with today on it, Seems one "could" use this for a week or 2, then swap the sim back into the tablet and all will work. However if you leave it in the iphone, ATT's systems will catch it and notify you and require you to change that to a smartphone plan. So it seems to be a "yes" it can work for a short term, but not for a long term. She claims quite a few people do this. Like people who have ipads and iphones, just swapping between em. Kinda curious tho if anyone here has done this tho and what their results were.

would not bet the farm on that - no offense to tier 1 help desk but they have been off before. If you are curious do it and let us know what happens

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

What about using setting your Galaxy as a hotspot and connecting your iPhone via wifi-hotspot? Then you wouldn't have to pay anything extra. That's how I'm considering doing with my iPhone 5 and wifi-only iPad.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Battery life for iPhones set up as mobile Wifi hotspots is not good. They need external battery support, and run hot. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.