Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can an ATT iPhone 6s work on a Verizon network by switching SIM cards?

Tutor

Can an ATT iPhone 6s work on a Verizon network by switching SIM cards?

I have just upgraded to an iPhone Xs and own my old iPhone 6s.  I want to give it to my son who has his iPhone 5 service on Verizon.  Is this possible and  if so, does it involve anything more than adding his Verizon SIM to the iPhone 6s?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by BossBurt
‎10-02-2018 12:26 PM

Re: Can an ATT iPhone 6s work on a Verizon network by switching SIM cards?

An ATT iPhone 6s will work fine on Verizon. You need to get it unlocked first. Your son will need to ask Verizon if anything more is needed other than moving the SIM card. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Tutor

For future reference this was our process when switching from AT&T to Verizon by changing SIM cards.  I requested an unlock of my iPhone from AT&T, which was granted.  I wiped the iPhone 6s (reset to factory) and started as a new phone with the AT&T SIM card (non-active) in the phone.  We followed the prompts and set it from am iCloud backup of the old Verizon phone.  We then upgraded the iOS to 12.  Finally we swapped out the SIM cards putting the working Verizon card in the iPhone.  Within a few seconds we where on the Verizon network.  There was one glitch whereby the phone keypad did not accept input.  That was solved by doing a home button reset.  Its been fine since.  Hope the shelps.

Message 3 of 5
Contributor

You didn't say who does the unlocking, ATT or Verzion?

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

@griesgroup Whoever the phone is locked to unlocks it. In the case of the OP, it would be ATT since the phone was locked to ATT.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support