The new iPhone 15
wegetboredeasy's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 6:30 PM

Can I use my personal AT&T iPhone 3Gs with my companies SIM card... when I am at work?

Our family is a big AT&T Customer. Have Uverse voice, data and cable. We also all have AT&T go phones, as we only need phones for emergencies. We love and recommend AT&T all the time and feel we are getting excellent service and a fair price.

However, I had a AT&T problem come up at work. I am the IT guy and handle the AT&T data end but I am not involved in our wireless phone plans. We all have AT&T phone with the most basic unlimited voice and text plan. My problem is that I have personal AT&T iPhone 3Gs that I LOVE and can do tons of work on... but, my company supplied phone is a basic plan low tech phone... So I use my work SIM card in my AT&T iPhone 3Gs.

It does not use or have access to the data plan and I don't need it as I have WIFI everywhere I am.

I was told by a coworker that if I continue to use my personal AT&T iPhone 3Gs on the company plan we could get "flagged" and have our rates go up.

I have never heard of that and when I asked a our local AT&T Store and the rep said taht sounded wrong and I should ask.

So I am asking. Is there any reason I can not use my personal AT&T iPhone 3Gs with my companies SIM card in it while I am on the clock?

It would be a real pain to be swapping phones and SIMS twice a day and even worse have to use a non-productive phone at work for work.

Thanks,

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

When you use an iphone on the ATT network, they will flag it and add an appropriate data plan for you. In this case, you could eventually end up with an iPHone data plan on your companies account for your line. It does not matter that you are using wifi most of the time. In the cases where you are not on wifi, your companies plan is getting charged for use on a per MB rate that could get high even if you do everything right to only use wifi.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the quick response.

Even if I have all the data settings off on the iPhone?

When I use my gocard it in this is not an issue?

Both my work SIM and go SIM have no data plan even available and I can not access anything data without WIFI on... just text and voice.

If I did have any phone data, I would be through any plan in a few days with IT work.

Thanks again,

Guru

• 

682 Messages

12 years ago

The only way this would work is if you put the phone in airplane mode when you switched SIMs. When a SIM registers the AT&T network, AT&T checks to see whether the phone has the appropriate plans & features provisioned. It doesn't matter if you have cellular data turned off, so long as the voice portion of the phone is on.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Good to know.

Thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.