The new iPhone 15
utahimeayumi123's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 11:12 PM

Can I use LTE Internationally on my iPhone 5s?

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5s from At&t in US. Now I'm in Shanghai China and LTE will be soon available here. But I was informed by the at&t official website that the iPhone 5s you sell support only 4 LTE bands (2,4,5,17). So I want to know if it will support more LTE bands since it's unlocked. Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

11 years ago

Here is a link to Apple's LTE page.  It show their model numbers and the LTE bands each model supports: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@utahimeayumi123 wrote:
I bought an unlocked iPhone 5s from At&t in US. Now I'm in Shanghai China and LTE will be soon available here. But I was informed by the at&t official website that the iPhone 5s you sell support only 4 LTE bands (2,4,5,17). So I want to know if it will support more LTE bands since it's unlocked. Thank you.

Locked or not, I'm pretty sure those are the only LTE bands it will support. By the way, ATT does not sell unlocked phones. Are you sure it is unlocked?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Yes,my current carrier is China Unicom.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

But apple's official website shows:"Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)" I am confused now.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@utahimeayumi123 wrote:
But apple's official website shows:"Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)" I am confused now.

If that is the model you have, it may work. I suspect the Att site only lists the LTE bands Att uses. Apple's site also says "Unlocked iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 models may support LTE networks outside the country of purchase when using a valid SIM from a supported carrier. Contact your carrier for more details."

Scholar

• 

390 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for that link @ youngjm,

I was thinking about getting a iphone 5
Seeing that there so cheap but that link
Proves I can't get one cos it only works
On EE and seriously there to expensive

Ip5 is abit of a pain only working on just one
Network for 4g LTE Shame very dissapointing!

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Hi youngjm, thanks for the link, but I can't find China on this page.

I thought I'd go straight to Apple China at http://store.apple.com/cn/buy-iphone/iphone5s (site is in Simplied Chinese) to find out, but got confused even more.

On this page, it says that 中国联通 (China Unicom) uses model A1528,

and 中国电信网络 (China Telecom) uses model A1533.

apple-china.PNG

Then further down the page in the technial specs sectrion, the site lists out the specs for A1533 and A1528:

china-iphones.PNG

I don't see the LTE band listing. Furthermore, model A1528 is not one that can be found on the US Apple website's technical spec page.

Recently I read that China Mobile will be offering LTE service, but they use TD-LTE, which requires the model A1529 that supports band 38,39,40.

So I searched on the web and found this link: http://www.telecomasia.net/content/lte-spectrum-scenarios-china describing China Unicom and China Telecom will "initially launch their LTE services using their existing FDD spectrum holdings in the 2100MHz band."

Ok, so that would mean if the original poster of this thread wanted to stay with his/her current provider, China Unicom, the iPhone5S model should be A1533 that would cover LTE 1,2,3,4,5,8,13,17,19,20,25.

But if service with China Mobile is desired, then iPhone5S model A1530 (supporting TD-LTE 38,39,40 bands).

Is this assessment correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

2 Attachments

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

I do not know how come I come to this old page and people just give out wrong answer!!
Both Iphone A1528 and A1533 are not LTE phone!!

The specs had said very clear,A1528 are for China Unicom and other GSM network.
 A1533 are only for China Telcom.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.