For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Lauren24's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 22nd, 2018 2:09 AM

Can I unlock a prepaid AT&T iPhone SE that has never been used?

I purchased a brand new iPhone se (Prepaid) from Frys Electronics recently. I was assured I would be able to unlock this phone and use with T-Mobile. I've sent the request through the unlock portal but I still haven't gotten anything back in regards to it. The more I read up about the issue, I'm a bit confused. Can you not unlock a prepaid AT&T phone without using it with AT&T for a certain period of time?! It is brand new- never set up and I just want to use it with T-Mobile... is this possible?!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Return it.  Att requires 6 months of prepaid service in a row before they will unlock it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

That phone is subsidized by ATT and sold at a significant discount and won’t be unlocked until meeting the 6 month requirement. As noted above, return it if you have no intention of using it on ATT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Can you precisely explain these rules of "6 months active usage"

When AT&T authorize to remove simlock on iPhone?

e. g

1//  iPhone has never been used, not even activated  - the simcard was placed in another phone and used for 6 months? is it ok?

2//  iPhone and simcard  used for less than 6 months, then put on shelf for some time then reuse again to reach 6? or it must be continuos ?

3// iPhone with simcard was used only occasional, plan never renew to receive SMS/text for 6 months?

thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.