For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
chazster2's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, June 11th, 2019 12:25 PM

Closed

Can I take my ATT Iphone to Verizon?

I am a current ATT customer  for years with 4 lines and plan to stay one - but I need to replace 1 line's phone and buy a new iPhone and want the flexibility to move to Verizon in the future if needed. I have always bought my phones at ATT store. 2 questions - 1) If I buy an Iphone 8 at ATT store now, will I be able to use on the Verizon network in the future?  2) If I instead buy the iPhone 8 at Apple Store, does that give me greater flexibility to move to Verizon if needed, and does it cost me any more to get the line added on ATT account?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Yes, you can use an ATT iPhone on Verizon but you may not have full compatibility with Verizon’s network. Apple made two versions of the iPhone 8. The phone will work on Verizon’s LTE network but the ATT version does not have any CDMA radios. Verizon is in the process of shutting down their CDMA network but there may yet be areas on Verizon’s network that only have CDMA coverage. Buying the sim free unlocked version directly from Apple will get you a phone fully compatible with LTE and CDMA. Buying a sim free phone from Apple also allows you to avoid ATT’s $30 upgrade fee. Just move the SIM card from the phone you are replacing.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

as long as you meet the requirements to unlock the phone

UNLOCK REQUIREMENTS

• Your device isn’t reported lost or stolen, or involved with fraud.
  • You must complete your contract or installment plan (including early termination fees). Or, pay off an installment plan early and then make another unlock request in 24 hours.
  • Your device isn’t active on another AT&T account.
  • If you upgraded early, wait 14 days to unlock your old device. Business customers wait 30 days.
  • Your service must be active for at least 60 days with no past due or unpaid balance.
  • AT&T PREPAID (formerly GoPhone®) devices must have at least 6 months of active service.
  • If you’re military, we’ll ask you to email your TCS or PCS (Temporary / permanent change of station) documents for eligibility. You won’t have to complete installment plans or contracts.
  • If you have a business-owned device, your company must authorize you to unlock it.
  •  Go here if your phone meets all the requirements https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much for the detailed and helpful response!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Can I take my AT&T iPhone 11 to Verizon?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.