For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
STARRY4's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 24th, 2016 6:56 PM

Can I switch an Iphone 6 from ATT to Sprint?

I have an iPhone 6 for my granddaughter that has been on ATT.  Her parents are going to take it over but they have Sprint.  As long as it is paid for and unlocked, will she be able to use it with Sprint?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Just like the previous iPhone 5 and 5s, the ATT version of iPhone 6 is still GSM only.  The Verizon versions of these iPhones had GSM and can be used on ATT or T-mobile. 

I had the CDMA version of the iPhone 6 Plus, which works equally well on any US carrier network, and most international carriers.  

The international iPhone 6 works on any network. (Model 1586/1524)

Fortunately Apple adapted again.  The ATT 6s is as near to universal as we can ask for.  The iPhone 6S (1633/1634) is sold for ATT or as the unlocked sim free version.  

Model 1688/1687 is sold through other carriers and is only missing band 30 for LTE, which ATT expects to bring up soon.  (In ATT time...)

The good news is, the ATT phone should sell well on eBay, and then they can purchase the CDMA version, which can be used on either network. 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

8 years ago

As long everything is paid off, phone bill is current phone is unlocked, suppose to be used anywhere.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

How long has the phone been paid off? If it was recent, make sure that you unlock the phone BEFORE you port the number away. It sometimes takes a few weeks after the phone is paid off before it can be unlocked.

If you unlock before the port, they will not be without a phone until the unlock goes through.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

This is the 6, not the 6s?

The ATT version of the iPhone 6S is good for every carrier once unlocked from ATT.

The ATT version of the iPhone 6 does NOT have CDMA for Sprint or Verizon.

image.png

image.png

2 Attachments

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

This is the 6, not the 6s?

The ATT version of the iPhone 6S is good for every carrier once unlocked from ATT.

The ATT version of the iPhone 6 does NOT have CDMA for Sprint or Verizon.

image.png

image.png

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Unlocked AT&T iPhone 6 will work on Verizon LTE network, but if leave Verizon LTE area, or something else happens, no service?

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks so much!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Your welcome, sorry it wasn't good news.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

What if it is an iPhone 6 plus, can it be used on sprint?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

The iPhone 6 or 6 plus is the same phone, only a different size.  The 6 has no CDMA for Sprint or Verizon 

The 6s from AT&T did have CDMA,  the 7 does not.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was going to buy an unlocked IPhone 6s Plus that was for Sprint network, could this be used for AT&T?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.