The new iPhone 15
butlerjm10's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 4:46 PM

Can I sell my iPad if it's still being financed?

Hello,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyways - I recently added an iPad 9.7 32GB WIFI + Data to my unlimited plan, however I really don't use it as I have my laptop and phone for most of my daily computing needs. I was wondering if it's possible for me to sell the iPad to a local retailer like GameStop or BestBuy and then pay off the remaining balance of what I owe? I just don't want any potential buyer to have any issues.

Another quick question - if I removed the SIM card, can I sell the iPad as a Wifi only device?

Thanks in advanced for your time and responses, they are much appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Correct, the next owner will get a new sim if they decide to add cellular service. My understanding is ipads are not locked to ATT, so the buyer can use it on any GSM network. The imei check I'm pretty sure only validates whether the device is lost or stolen. They won't know whether it has outstanding payments or not.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Yes you can sell it anytime as long as you continue paying for it or pay it off. You might want to check if that ipad is on a 2 year service contract. If so, cancelling that line will also result in an early termination fee. Once you cancel that line, the sim card becomes deactivated so it won't matter whether you remove the sim card or not. Of course, if you intend to keep that line active, definitely remove the sim card. Regardless of whether you leave a sim card in it or not, it is still capable of being used on cellular so I would not sell it as a wifi only device. Of course it can be used as a wifi only device but no reason to sell it for less than it is worth. Cellular ipads are worth more than wifi only ipads.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Hey Sandblaster, thanks for the insightful reply!

So with my particular iPad, it's only an additional line, not a 2-year service agreement (my 2-year service agreement is on my primary iPhone 7 account). So essentially, could I simply wipe the iPad clean and then proceed to sell it? If someone purchases it, I want to be sure they won't run into any problems - I have no problem continuing to make the payments until it is paid in full.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Right, just wipe it clean, make sure you remove the icloud lock and disable "find my iphone", remove the sim and you are good to go. You should also cancel the line to save the monthly service charge. Once you cancel the line, they will bill you for the balance of what you owe on the ipad. You can of course keep the line active and continue making payments but then you are paying for service on the line too.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Right on, thanks again for the quick reply!

Alright, so as long as I wipe everything clean, take off the Find my iPad lock, and remove the SIM Card - the next person that has the iPad can use the iPad as long as they are within ATT's network? Would they provide the new customer with a new SIM card I assume? I was thinking about taking my iPad to my local game stop, they will give around $200 for it, but I wanted to make sure the IMEI was clear, I'm not sure how this process goes - if they check and see that I'm still making installment payments. Thanks again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Cool. Thank you so much!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.