For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
tomthumb47's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 17th, 2017 2:48 PM

Can AT&T turn on the FM Receiver built into the LTE modem?

This article ( http://www.zdnet.com/article/back-to-1982-why-us-watchdog-the-fcc-thinks-your-iphone-needs-fm-radio/ ) indicates my iphone 6s Plus "has an FM chip inside the LTE modem. However, carriers and phone makers keep it switched off, probably for business reasons." Also, "Some carriers, such as AT&T and Sprint, have recently decided to enable the FM radio in Android devices." 

Can AT&T enable the FM receiver in my phone?

Thank you for letting me know!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@tomthumb47 wrote:

This article ( http://www.zdnet.com/article/back-to-1982-why-us-watchdog-the-fcc-thinks-your-iphone-needs-fm-radio/ ) indicates my iphone 6s Plus "has an FM chip inside the LTE modem. However, carriers and phone makers keep it switched off, probably for business reasons." Also, "Some carriers, such as AT&T and Sprint, have recently decided to enable the FM radio in Android devices." 

Can AT&T enable the FM receiver in my phone?

Thank you for letting me know!

@tomthumb47

you need to realize APPLE controls all things iPhone period the carriers have no say.  Yes the LTE chip that apple used in the iphone supports FM radio but the main board and iOS do not.  Apple has not even writen a driver for it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Nope.  No iPhone has never had an FM chip, active or otherwise.  

Manufacturers charge extra for putting an active FM chip in phones. Case in point - the LG V20 has an active chip on Att phones, but Verizon did not pay, and does not. The price of the ATT phone reflects this.  

For years ATT didn't offer free radio, so they did not pay for FM chips.  Now that they do, they pay on some phone.  

Any android phone that is compatible with ATT service with a working FM radio chip would work on ATT.   The current phones that do have FM radio include the Samsung galaxy S7 series, the LG v20 and some HTC models.  

Either [the] FCC chairman, or the author, has no idea what they are talking about.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.