For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
cmcastle99's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, September 20th, 2017 8:57 PM

Call from my own number?

I was on my phone just casually when I received a phone number from my own number. Confused, I answered but didn't say anything, and the other end hung up after about 5 seconds. When I tried calling back, it led me to my voicemail. Even more dumbfounded, I told my boyfriend about it and then about 5 minutes later the exact same thing happened to him? Why is this and should either of us be concerned?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

6 years ago

Hello Community,

Although this is an older thread, we wanted to take the great input from @sandblaster and others, and combine it into a single response.

Unfortunately, there is a common scamming practice known as number spoofing where one’s phone number can be used to call other people and attempt to get personal and private information. This is illegal and almost impossible to stop. As this practice allows scammers to personally choose the number that will be shown on the recipient’s caller ID. Your account or usage is in no way affected by number spoofing.

Our recommendation:

Download AT&T Call Protect. In addition to blocking numbers from known fraudsters, AT&T Call Protect also provides suspected spam warnings and lets you manually block and report individual callers. 

The Federal Trade Commission has more information about Caller ID spoofing scams on its website: https://www.fcc.gov/spoofing.

We do have the option to change your phone number which may act as a deterrent but is not a guaranteed solution. You can learn more about number spoofing and what to do about it on our Cyber Aware blog.

Thank you for contacting AT&T!

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@ngoiannie The app is called Call Protect. If you have postpaid service and a supported phone, get the app from the appropriate App Store. More info on Call Protect here: https://www.att.com/features/security-apps.html

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Probably not. The call did not come from your number. The caller, likely a robo call, probably used a common technique called number spoofing. Your boyfriend getting a similar call soon afterward is probably a coincidence, especially if he has the same area code and exchange. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It happened to me at 9:11 pm, said my AT&T account was flagged for security reasons and asked for last 4 digits of SSN# of the main account holder. I called AT&T and they said someone is calling from spoof numbers and sent me an app to upload to block spoof #s. also said we can block on our phones too!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

It happened to me too, so what app did At&T tell you to upload? Can I just get the app? Or do I need to call At&T for it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I put in a pin to access it. I just assumed that was real since I’m on a multiple line program and I’m not the main person.

What should I do from here?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I just got a call from my own number; I have Call Protect but it obviously wouldn't flag my own number.  I didn't answer it, hopefully they will give up (they are showing up as having called twice, but who knows).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Okay, apparently I can't edit my previous post.  If Call Protect is the supposed solution, what is it supposed to do, when the number showing up is my own??  I have Call Protect, and I absolutely sing its praises to everybody I know, but it didn't do anything with this call.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Call Protect only knows the scam and robocall, it is not able to detect the spooling call, I have just stop answering call that I don't know, especially my own number. I think there are apps that will detect spooling calls but you have to pay for them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same thing happened to me and I have the call protect app. my solution was to block my own phone number, ironic i know. but I won't be receiving any more calls from my own number. hope this helps someone

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.