Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Call from my own number?

Highlighted
Contributor

Call from my own number?

I was on my phone just casually when I received a phone number from my own number. Confused, I answered but didn't say anything, and the other end hung up after about 5 seconds. When I tried calling back, it led me to my voicemail. Even more dumbfounded, I told my boyfriend about it and then about 5 minutes later the exact same thing happened to him? Why is this and should either of us be concerned?

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: Call from my own number?

Probably not. The call did not come from your number. The caller, likely a robo call, probably used a common technique called number spoofing. Your boyfriend getting a similar call soon afterward is probably a coincidence, especially if he has the same area code and exchange. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Contributor

It happened to me at 9:11 pm, said my AT&T account was flagged for security reasons and asked for last 4 digits of SSN# of the main account holder. I called AT&T and they said someone is calling from spoof numbers and sent me an app to upload to block spoof #s. also said we can block on our phones too!
Message 3 of 21
Contributor

It happened to me too, so what app did At&T tell you to upload? Can I just get the app? Or do I need to call At&T for it?

Message 4 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎05-02-2018 12:03 PM

@ngoiannie The app is called Call Protect. If you have postpaid service and a supported phone, get the app from the appropriate App Store. More info on Call Protect here: https://www.att.com/features/security-apps.html

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 21
Contributor

I put in a pin to access it. I just assumed that was real since I’m on a multiple line program and I’m not the main person.

What should I do from here?

Message 6 of 21
Contributor

I just got a call from my own number; I have Call Protect but it obviously wouldn't flag my own number.  I didn't answer it, hopefully they will give up (they are showing up as having called twice, but who knows).

Message 7 of 21
Contributor

Okay, apparently I can't edit my previous post.  If Call Protect is the supposed solution, what is it supposed to do, when the number showing up is my own??  I have Call Protect, and I absolutely sing its praises to everybody I know, but it didn't do anything with this call.

Message 8 of 21
Contributor

Call Protect only knows the scam and robocall, it is not able to detect the spooling call, I have just stop answering call that I don't know, especially my own number. I think there are apps that will detect spooling calls but you have to pay for them.

Message 9 of 21
Contributor

Same thing happened to me and I have the call protect app. my solution was to block my own phone number, ironic i know. but I won't be receiving any more calls from my own number. hope this helps someone

Message 10 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support