Call from 0000000000 - This is VERY Strange

Call from 0000000000 - This is VERY Strange

This Morning I received a call on my iPhone 4. The caller id number was listed was 0000000000. When I answered there was a click sound ( the same sound the iPhone's  camera shutter simulation makes).  I hung up and tried calling the number back , but it was non-working number.  I know how strange this sounds, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this.  Could this be the work of a rouge App?

Message 1 of 46
Contributor

Re: Call from 0000000000 - This is VERY Strange

This is the same man, I can tell by his accent, of Indian decent, that has been calling me with different  non existing phone numbers for months. I tell him, either john, peter, jack or who ever he decides to be that day, to stop calling me.

He says it is in regards to Medical Compensation..non of the medical issues he is supposedly trying to get money for me have I had.

He will not stop calling. I have spoken to the police department, but they cannot trace the numbers as they are non existing numbers.

How can someone call on a non existing number?

Message 11 of 46
Scholar

The "camera shutter sound" is "them" audio taping your responses.. say nothing and hang up.

Message 12 of 46
ACE - Expert

It is called caller ID spoofing. Somehow they can trick the phone system into believing that the phone call is coming from a different number than the number they are calling from so that it cannot be traced.
I once got a call and the caller ID was my home number. I was really upset about that but there was nothing that I could do about it.
It is all a matter of how some unscrupulous people use technology.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 46
Expert

hydrogen3 wrote:

The "camera shutter sound" is "them" audio taping your responses.. say nothing and hang up.

If you hear that it is a radio shack version of audio taping, the better systems give no indication that the call is being recorded, especially if it is being made through a commercial level VOIP systems, the recording is made via bridging the VOIP signal through a commercial hardware/software package. Cisco, Intertell, IBM, CallRex all have this technology available. At one of our contracts we routinely record the calls for various reasons

Message 14 of 46
ACE - Expert

hydrogen3 wrote:

Better yet, don't answer. I never answer a call from a number I don't recognize. I've never missed a call from someone who needed to reach me following that rule. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 46
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

I don't have a hard-and-fast rule for answering calls from unrecognized numbers, but I always ignore calls from 000 000-0000.

Message 16 of 46
Contributor

I'm NOT an AT&T subscriber and I've had this call about five times in the past week in my cell, and on my landline showing up as (0). This is, truly odd. Hopefully someone will figure it out. When I answer it seems like the line disconnects immediately. I'm wondering if It would do any good to report it to my carrier? Thoughts?
Message 17 of 46
Expert

Maxijamz wrote:
I'm NOT an AT&T subscriber and I've had this call about five times in the past week in my cell, and on my landline showing up as (0). This is, truly odd. Hopefully someone will figure it out. When I answer it seems like the line disconnects immediately. I'm wondering if It would do any good to report it to my carrier? Thoughts?

it is very easy to spoof the number displayed, it is a trick used by collection agencies, spam sellers and other organizations that do not want to disclose the trackable number to prevent a report by a end user that has their home or cell number on a do not call list. The only end users that can see the true calling number at any time are first reponders such as 911. Sorry but reporting it is pretty much a dead end.

Tags (1)
Message 18 of 46
Professor

You can try blocking the call. iOS 7 includes a call blocking feature. In the Recents section of the phone app, tap the information icon, the blue circle with the i in it. Scroll to the bottom and select Block this Caller. I've never received a call from 000-000-0000, but I've had good results with every other numer I've blocked.

Message 19 of 46
Contributor

My call from 000-000-0000 came in at 2:00 am, even though I had do not disturb turned on. Woke me from a sound sleep.  I sent it to voicemail and the "message left" was 2 seconds of static. Interesting reading all the posts. Obviously it is mischief, just wondered if it is malicious or benign. 

Message 20 of 46
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support