Helpful Links

Buying an iPhone 4, but not from ATT. How does this work?

Tutor

Buying an iPhone 4, but not from ATT. How does this work?

I want to take advantage of the Radio Shack trade-in sale this week.  I have a 3GS and plant to get an iPhone 4.  Is ATT going to hassle me?  Extend my contract?  

And what will I have to do?

Message 1 of 12
Scholar

Re: Buying an iPhone 4, but not from ATT. How does this work?

From what I understand, Apple, Best Buy, Radio-shack, they still have to check your eligibility upgrade using the AT&T's network to check if you can purchase at a subsidized price. However if you are buying the phone at a full 599/699 price, there is no need to check the eligibility upgrade, this same goes for AT&T as well.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Buying an iPhone 4, but not from ATT. How does this work?

bigpics wrote:

3.  And I neglected to ask this part directly:  Will I have to physically go to an ATT store to activate the change?  In other words, how does my new iPhone know it's on my account and know what its number is?

In other words, no, if you buy an iphone from Best Buy, radioshack or Apple, they activate it for you at the store. This is the same for AT&T. However, if you order your iphone from the AT&T online store, then you can activate it at home.

As I said, Best buy, Apple, Radiocheck all contacts AT&T through the internet to activate the service.

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support