For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
dongchch's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, March 14th, 2017 8:04 PM

Buy second hands iphone. It is not fully paid. Can I use this phone with prepaid sim?

I will buy second hands iphone 7 from friend. And This device is not fully paid. 

Can I use this with my prepaid sim card? I am on atnt now.

And Can I unlock this device? I thought that when I active this with my prepaid sim, that time this iphone IMEI will be on my account not my friends account. Isn't it?

So Can I unlock in this case? Or do I need to wait until my friend will be fully paid?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

Yes, you can use it on AT&T even though it is not paid off.

The phone will not be unlocked until all obligations tied to the phone are paid in full, even if on someone else's account.

You will need to wait until your friend pays off the phone before it can be unlocked.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Nez020101, no, you will not be required to complete any payments but as long as the phone remains unpaid, it will not be unlocked. You can only use it on ATT. I would not buy it myself. Too risky. The original owner could very easily report it lost or stolen and then the phone won’t be usable on any carrier.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@dongchch As long as it's not locked to some other network (I don't see that you say it's an AT&T phone). Locked to AT&T, it'll be no problem.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I see an ad for an iphone 7 on offerup and is being sold. The seller stated that the phone has not been paid off....if i buy this phone what happens? It is also from att and i have att....if i buy it will i have to make HIS payments or what?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

but why would they report it lost..how can they report it lost if i put my icloud in there? wouldnt it be mine then?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Re: Buy second hands iphone. It is not fully paid. Can I use this phone with prepaid sim?

and would the phone be black listed if not paid off...ive seen some posts say that and how others that the service of the phone cuts out after a while...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Nez020101 It’s a flaw in the system, ATT recognizes the original owner as the owner. Whether removal of the iCloud lock will prevent that, I don’t know. ATT could blacklist it if not paid off but I have not heard of that happening. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Nez020101 wrote:

but why would they report it lost..

To collect the insurance money on it.

how can they report it lost if i put my icloud in there? wouldnt it be mine then?

If someone sells you a TV and reports it stolen, the TV still works. But when they report it to the phone company, they turn it off (they own it, there is no transfer of ownership of a phone like a title).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.