The new iPhone 15
boppo's profile

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

Thursday, March 4th, 2010 5:02 PM

Closed

Blocked incoming call

I have had a iPhone for about 2 years and yesterday I got 2 calls one after the other and it had a blocked id on it. What was this, the iphone blocking or the caller blocking?
Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

14 years ago

That is the caller blocking ther number on there end to prevent it from showing on your phone.

Scholar

• 

235 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks, I guess if he doesn't want me to see his number I don't want to answer.

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

A lot of landlines that are unlisted also show up as blocked or "private" when they call cell phones. My mom's line is unlisted and I have my phone set to send all private/blocked numbers automatically to VM, so my mom always has to unblock her landline before calling me.

Now she mostly calls me from her cell phone so she doesn't have to unblock first. LOL

Message Edited by Zandora on 03-04-2010 02:56:21 PM

Guru

• 

647 Messages

14 years ago

@Zandora wrote:

A lot of landlines that are unlisted also show up as blocked or "private" when they call cell phones. My mom's line is unlisted and I have my phone set to send all private/blocked numbers automatically to VM, so my mom always has to unblock her landline before calling me.

Now she mostly calls me from her cell phone so she doesn't have to unblock first. LOL

Message Edited by Zandora on 03-04-2010 02:56:21 PM

I'm going slightly off-topic here, but I knew someone who had ACR (Anonymous Call Rejection--reject calls from blocked numbers) on her landline yet had the hypocrisy to also have Caller ID Complete Blocking (prevents your name and number from being sent on calls you make) on her line...essentially, her stance was that she was entitled to know who (and/or what number the call was made from) was trying to call her number but people didn't have/need to know that it was she who was calling them and/or from what number she was calling from.

Guru

• 

737 Messages

14 years ago

Another possibility is that the call came from a doctor's office, hospital, assisted living facility, etc.  All of these calls show up as blocked on my phones, both home and cell.  My mother has her own phone in her apartment at her assisted living facility and because of how the phone system is set up, her listed number is always blocked.  Rejecting blocked calls might not always be a good idea. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

USUALLY blocked phone calls ARE from people you don't want to talk to...and they are just trying to get around the "don't call list" system

I agree with the earlier poster - if they don't want to show me who they are, then I won't answer.  For Dr. offices, assisted living, schools - as long as YOU put their number in your phone book, they will show up the way you list them. (if that doesn't work, spend the $9.99 a month to add a family member to your family plan) 

We NEVER answer calls that don't show their number or id, and advise that eveyone else do the same. 

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

@ewick5 wrote:

USUALLY blocked phone calls ARE from people you don't want to talk to...and they are just trying to get around the "don't call list" system

I agree with the earlier poster - if they don't want to show me who they are, then I won't answer.  For Dr. offices, assisted living, schools - as long as YOU put their number in your phone book, they will show up the way you list them. (if that doesn't work, spend the $9.99 a month to add a family member to your family plan) 

We NEVER answer calls that don't show their number or id, and advise that eveyone else do the same. 

For some inexplicable reason, when my bf called me from any company landline, the calls were marked private. It had something to do with how the company must have set up their lines. They are a publicly traded company.

They recently moved their offices and changed to a new telephone system. The number now shows on my caller ID whereas it never used to show when he was in the old building.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I am still a little confused.  Does the blocked call actually "ring?"  I just looked at my phone and I have 3 blocked calls that I didn't hear come in.  I have an IPhone (new) and I don't think I have made any settings that would prevent anything from coming in.  Another responder wrote that if you have the phone number in your contact list it will show up.  Does anyone know if that is true on IPhone?  Thanks.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

14 years ago

@cgollings wrote:

I am still a little confused.  Does the blocked call actually "ring?"  I just looked at my phone and I have 3 blocked calls that I didn't hear come in.  I have an IPhone (new) and I don't think I have made any settings that would prevent anything from coming in.  Another responder wrote that if you have the phone number in your contact list it will show up.  Does anyone know if that is true on IPhone?  Thanks.

Yes they (blocked/unknown) still ring on the iPhone.  The iPhone doesn't have a way to reject Blocked/Unknown numbers.

No it will not show a number or name even if they are in your contact list and they have their number blocked.  I have several people that I have in my contact list and when they block their number it will not show on my phone.  The reason is the caller ID or number is not sent so the phone doesn't know who to associate the call with as there is nothing to match it to in the contacts.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks so much.  It's great to have someone who knows and is willing to take the time to help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.