For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Hulk...'s profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018 6:45 PM

Blacklisted iPhone

Is there anyone who had a luck removing an iPhone from blacklist through ATTCares or at least get notable help?

Before posting it here I have sent 3 PM’s to ATTCares(about heir own interest). No response so far.
Recently I have purchased a brand new sealed in the box iPhone. It was not blacklisted at the time of purchase and for the following couple of weeks it showed status as clean. Then I found out that it was blacklisted. I have a proof that I purchased it from an individual. Seller also showed the IMEI. Apple database shows the phone as a valid purchase.
I can’t post the whole story here (its too long) but my understanding is that it is an insurance fraud. I tried to talk to ATT customer service and get more information. The only information I got was this phone is deactivated. Nothing else. They don’t even want to provide me the reason. I don’t want to go to the police without knowing the reason for the block. They have more important stuff to do.
Of course Seller is ignoring me now. Im not pushing him for now.
Luckily my state has a law that protects consumers. But it is a long process.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Good luck but I don’t think ATTCares will be able to help. Only the person who put the phone on the blacklist can remove it from the blacklist. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

That’s what I hear mostly. I can’t even learn the reason for he block so I can take action. I will most likely send a demand letter to legal dep to get detailed info.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

theres only a few reasons it could be blacklisted, lost, stolen or fraud.as everyone else has told you only the person that blacklisted it can get it removed,you mention insurance fraud in your post, it seems to me the person you bought it from (since it was sealed in the box) reported it stolen then listed it for sale he gets the money for insurance and the money from you. id even go so far as to say he waited until he received your money then reported it stolen in order to fool you with a clean imei. .

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I do have acceptable reasons to suspect this case to be an insurance fraud. What bothers me is why AT&T wouldn’t help me when I talk to them. I cant even learn why it was deactivated. Im not asking persons info or confidentail details. I do respect companies keeping those info confidential, however, not helping others hiding behind those rules is unaccaptable.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Hulk...they wont tell you because its an insurance fraud case and they have no way of knowing who you are ,even if the guy that sold it to you were contacted all he would have to do is say i never sold it it was stolen and he made everything up.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I dont think I have a unique case. There are many others like me. ATT should try to see other part of the story. Well, ATT does not care because it is not losing money.

It seems to me small claims court is unavoidable either with the seller or AT&T.

I will keep everyone posted.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

would need to be with the seller, someone reported it and at&t is only doing what it is suppose to do

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Constructive wrote:

would need to be with the seller, someone reported it and at&t is only doing what it is suppose to do

Actually it would need to be the original buyer of the phone, which may or may not be the same person who sold it to the OP.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Hulk... wrote:

That’s what I hear mostly. I can’t even learn the reason for he block so I can take action. I will most likely send a demand letter to legal dep to get detailed info.

@Hulk...

your not the original owner so ATT does not have to give you a reason.  It was reported stolen would be my guess.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

What if the phone was purchased from the apple store in cash brand new (iPhone 11 Pro Max) and there most likely was no "original owner" seeing as though I paid for the phone during release week? I used this phone for months and I go to switch phone plans (every other phone on my bill switched over successfully) but mine shows up as blacklisted for NO reason. I don't owe At&t any money, I purchased the phone in cash from the Apple Store and I use Apple Care+ and have not reported any claims to the insurance. Is there anything I can do about this???

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.